Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2006, 08:50 AM
Petrolhead35
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Induction Kit question.

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help?

I have a STI 2. Recently just changed the airbox for a K&N cone filter.

The induction kit was purchased second hand and came with various small sections of rubber hose and a couple of large pieces.

Firstly on changing over, i removed the original air box, and as far as i could see there was no requirement for the additional pieces of hose that came with it. I fitted the cone filter on its own straight onto what i believe is the air flow meter.
Other than sounding like darth vader i have noticed no difference in performance. Is this normal or should i have expected an increase in power / torque etc. In fact i pulled out of the petrol station yesterday and accelerated fairly hard, and to be quite honest it seemed a little asmatic on pick up. There are 3 cold air feeds to it, the existing feed from the wing that would have gone into the original airbox. A mini induction scoop on the bonnet that replaces the original vent on the drivers side, and a feedpipe i have running from just under the front bumper to the underside of the cone filter.

Could it be that the filter may require cleaning, ond if so how is this done?

Additionally i have heard that (depending on model) K&N or oiled filters can sometimes cause problems with the airflow meter, something to do with the 'hot wire sensor' or something. Does anyone know about this?

Could i have already compromised the sensor, as i have been running a K7N panel fiter for some time prior to changing to the cone filter?

Can the sensors be cleaned or do they have to be replaced?

Where best to get one and at what cost?

Thanks.
Old 20 January 2006, 10:23 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the kit I purchased (2nd hand) there were various bits of tubing that came with it, so that you could also take out the black box post MAF that the Idle Control Valve pipe feeds into.

If your car is fairly standard then you won't reaaly notice any increase in performance (if any) since the OE panel filter is good for over 300HP anyway.

The issues with MAFs and induction kits are usually associated with the MY99-00 models, in fact the K+N is thought to be the one that is recommended with those MAFs. Your MAF is the more robust earlier model and doesn't see the failures that the later MYs suffer. If the K+N was over oiled you can clean your MAF with the delicate use of a cotton bud and brake cleaner.

But basically the only gain you will see over OE is an increase in induction and DV noise!

It is generally thought that the uprated panel filter route is good for 350HP at least, induction kits are better over this level as long as there is a cold feed. I had to fit mine due to the FMIC pipework needing the space the airbox sits in.