Notices

Manifold swap question

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2006, 11:13 PM
Flat4matt
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manifold swap question

Howdy ya'll,nice to meet you, hopefully if everything goes well ill be getting a 99t-reg impreza sport 2litre non turbo. Ive been out for a ride in the one im wanting and was impressed,it had turbo bonnet and gorgeous 18" OZ prodrive wheels(there very expensive apparently ) BUT, it doesnt have the real burbling noise. NOW, from research ive discovered this is due to it not having unequal length headers.

Ive come up with a plan to adapt a turbo manifold (with unequal headers obviously!!!) but it will involove cutting an inch out and welding it back togeather so it fits. The reason for this is because ive been told that the turbo manifold is 16 1/2" wide and the sport manifold is 15 1/2" wide(can anyone back this up for me?) but once ive bolted the manifold to the engine, im lost as to what to do then! obviously the sport hasnt got a turbo so ive got to cut and fit a piece of piping where the turbo would be,after that im not sure what else is needed,would i then need to get a turbo down pipe, centre section and back box to complete the system, is this right?

Hopefully then ill have a sport model sounding like a bat ouf of hell! In theory it should work i reckon but then im new to all this and need your help in getting me the sound i want, so if anyone would like to shed any light onto the subject or even on my stupidity for trying then please do,lol!

Alot of you will be thinking its alot of work just to get a sound from a car and why not just get a wrx, with me being like every other 20yo i get spanked on insruance so a wrx is totally out of the qestion.......unfortunately!
Matt