Notices

Taking my ver3 sti engine out tomorrow....

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2006, 08:12 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking my ver3 sti engine out tomorrow....

Hi,

a few of you may have read my post just before christmas about the bottom end failing on my sti version 3 after owning it for one day......well i've now settled with someone down south who is going to rebuild my engine for me, but I'm going to remove the engine myself to keep costs to a minimum. A friend is helping who has done similar things before, but not on a subaru.

So......I'm just after any advice you can give as to the best way to go about removing the old engine, anything I should watch out for and any tricks I may miss. I'm starting the work tomorrow so would really appreciate any advice before then.

Cheers folks,

Brian
Old 16 January 2006, 08:25 PM
rossi_classicwrx
Scooby Regular

Hi mate.. i literally just took mine out by myself!!
most of the stuff is really obvious just look and make sire everythings been taken of or disconnected. Be carefull of the air con radiator too.. the engine comes forwards and you don't want it to go straight through there...

The only bit that got me stumped for a while is once its all unbolted and everythings disconnected it doesn't seem to want to split from the gearbox..
You need to undo the clutch fork.. to do this you can see a round "plug" just on the side down from this on the gearbox casing... its got a hex centre (allen key style tool needed to remove).. take this out and you will be able to see a 6mm thread in the middle of whats left in there.. screw in a 6mm bolt and pull this out.. (its a bar that holds the clutch fork in) It took a fair bit of levering and persuading in my case.. once this is done the clutch fork can be pulled up and the gearbox and engine will happily seperate..(well in theory!!)
Old 16 January 2006, 08:43 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that mate - it's the silly little things that can end up taking hours to sort out. I've been told it should take up to around 4 hours to take out - but having never done it before, I'll believe it when I see it!

Cheers,

Brian
Old 16 January 2006, 10:31 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

I've recently lost my engine removal virginity, see
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=480009 for my step by step guide

D
Old 16 January 2006, 11:42 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never done one before but my mates and I had to take 2 out in the last 2 weeks.

4 hours seems like a do-able time but think the second one came out in under 3. Just hoping that the putting back in goes as smoothly
Old 18 January 2006, 07:52 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Well.....around 9 hours work over 2 days and it's finally out. The only real problem was separating the engine away from the gearbox - took ages! Think I may have broken my release bearing with all the rocking back and forwards too - bugger. Everything else was very straight forward, nothing seized or difficult to get off. Just getting a pallet sorted then it's off to 22BAndy (cheers chap) for a rebuild.....then I'll have to got through the whole experience again to put it back in - sigh.
Old 18 January 2006, 08:47 PM
Stiver3
Scooby Regular

Location: Braintree - 321BHP, 285Lbft-Perfect Standard' Ish STi Ver. III

Shame for you mate... feel for you.

We have rebuilt a WRX engine and know how much hard work it is taking out!

My STi Ver3 has been perfect since my ownership.... shame you have had so many problems.
Old 18 January 2006, 09:08 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate. I suppose it's best to just take these things on the chin and get on with it. Ultimately I'll end up with a better, more reliable engine to show for all the hard work and expenditure.

Would have like to have enjoyed the car before I needed a rebuild but hey....life is life. I suppose it's the nature of these sorts of cars as well - if we all expected an easy life we'd be driving mondeo's?

Cheers,

Bri
Old 19 January 2006, 11:06 AM
rossi_classicwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by briforbes
Thanks mate. I suppose it's best to just take these things on the chin and get on with it. Ultimately I'll end up with a better, more reliable engine to show for all the hard work and expenditure.

Would have like to have enjoyed the car before I needed a rebuild but hey....life is life. I suppose it's the nature of these sorts of cars as well - if we all expected an easy life we'd be driving mondeo's?

Cheers,

Bri
The prob you had with removing was because of the clutch fork.. the same prob as me.. Thats what i was trying to tell you at the top!!... Glad you got it all out though mate...