Notices

Major Prolem with my car *help*

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2006, 08:53 PM
CraigW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Prolem with my car *help*

My car is really pi**ing me off, I have no idea whats wrong with it.
What happend was I took the battery off for about an hour and a half to reset the ECU, then when I put it back on my alternater stoped charging and my dash Icon's i.e the seat belt sign and handbrake sign and the rest of them apart from the door open Icon wasnt working, I've checked fuses and replaced the alternater and still the same.
Can somebody please help me, i'm desporate.
Old 13 January 2006, 09:12 PM
scooby191
Scooby Regular

now fella go under your dash 2 black plugs and 2 green plugs join them altogether turn the ignition on first until fans kick and then start the car drive it around for 5-10 mins not on boost until the check engine light flashes at the same rate when this happens turn off unplug the green plugs and leave the black ones connected then turn ignition on only and coutn the flashes on the dash if they flash at the same rate there is no fault however if for instance you can count 3 flashes then a break and then another 2 flashes thats a code 32 i will dig out the codes for you and send you a pm infact let me know waht the code was and ill check it out for you and may be able to help rectfying the problem on the other hand it may be an electrical fault
Old 13 January 2006, 09:29 PM
jerf
Scooby Newbie

Default dash

Mate, take it to a autolectrician! fault codes may not show up if dash lights are partly illuminating i.e. the cel light may not even get power! i had a very similar problem on my '95 wrx and it was a printed circuit on the back of the clocks.mine was not charging the battery but would start if it turned the key even though the ignition lights were not lit up.it only cost £50 including a new circuit and i could have been there for a month myself looking for it.
good luck and hope this helps!
Old 14 January 2006, 06:55 AM
CraigW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jerf
Mate, take it to a autolectrician! fault codes may not show up if dash lights are partly illuminating i.e. the cel light may not even get power! i had a very similar problem on my '95 wrx and it was a printed circuit on the back of the clocks.mine was not charging the battery but would start if it turned the key even though the ignition lights were not lit up.it only cost £50 including a new circuit and i could have been there for a month myself looking for it.
good luck and hope this helps!
Defo the same problem as mine then ? Mine starts yeat but no dash ICON's, the dash light works for lighting the clocks and stuff up but Rev's and Icon's are a no go, hows a circit not letting the car charge though ? very weird that, so you say auto electrician ? how long did it take to get it sorted, did thay have the bit in stock or just solder it or something ?
Old 14 January 2006, 02:05 PM
CraigW
Scooby Regular

Jerf your a ****ing star mate, was what you said, had been fixed before but a **** job, got me £20
Old 14 January 2006, 02:49 PM
jerf
Scooby Newbie

no problem,just glad i could help.sometimes it's just something stupid that gets you frustrated as hell!!
Old 14 January 2006, 03:43 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

the alternator will not charge if there is no dash bulb present, this is the same on all cars pretty much. the battery gives 12v though a bulb (in dash) as an exciter current to the alternator. without this exciter current at the alternator it wont charge. hope that helps