Notices

Engine out time...

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2006, 06:44 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink Engine out time...

Finally, in a few weeks time my STi type R ver4 will move......onto a trailer and down to a mates garage where I will 'attempt' to remove the engine...
Its been a while now (sept 05)... really looking forward to this... time to get to know the car/ engine... This'll be the first time I've removed a Impreza engine... so just after any advise on what to do/ not to do...
First things first, gonna take the front end off, to prevent paint damage... then FMIC pipe work off, downpipe, water hoses, a few wires here and there, starter, then I suppose split the engine from the box, then engine mounts and out... that sound about right???
Then it'll be up to Teg Sport for the engine strip down/ rebuild...
I've been abit put off by the 2.5 route... mainly reliabilty issues... so as long as my bottom end aint to bad... hoping just to get away with new bottom end bearings, possibly crank... a good clean up and back together with new belts etc...
If the 2 litre block needs other bits and bobs I think I will end up going down the 2.5 route...
Spec:- Uprated rods, pistons, oil pump, bearings, + fuel pump
Gems ECU with anti-lag
FMIC
Uprated downpipe, with no cats fitted
Equal length headers, + uprated up pipe to turbo
Injectors ( not sure what to go for )
VF 34 Ceramic,rollerbearing Turbo, currently fitted, but once engine is run in think I will be giving Andy F a ring... then another re-map.

Hoping to be back out on the road for the end of March, early April...
As mentioned above, any advise on the engine removal/ refit.
Injector size and turbo would be appriciated...
Old 09 January 2006, 08:17 PM
TyPe~~R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think that there are reliability issues with the 2.5 now. Most of the trouble was due to incorrect set ups, gaskets, blocks, heads etc...

There is alot of information and tryed and tested results on the EJ257
Old 09 January 2006, 11:04 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Wink

I've read through alot of posts and am really unsure... so just gonna take it apart and see whats what... Eva way it should be quicker, and more reliable...
Old 11 January 2006, 09:25 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Cool

Any recommendations on injector size and Turbo... have spoke to Andy F via email before christmas.... can't remember what turbo he recommended... think it was just under the 1K mark....
Would I be better running the new engine in on my turbo for 1000 miles... then when it goes for re-map at Teg sport ( steve simpson will be mapping it ) fit the Turbo then have it mapped?
Or would it be ok either way???
Spoke to the previous owner a few weeks ago... he now mentions to me that when Steve mapped it last time... he mentions that the injectors were running at nearly 100% and could have done with a uprated intercooler... abit late now... but I'm starting to get a few ideas in my head why it started to knock...!!!
Knocking started about 2 weeks after Trax 05 ( very hot day if you didn't go )... which was about a 300 mile round trip for me...
Every since its been off the road...
Never mind...