Notices

oil catch tank

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2006, 09:12 PM
tiny gsy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil catch tank

what would be the best and easiest to fit oil catch tank for an sti8?

any ideas would be most appreciated

thanks
Old 01 January 2006, 11:33 PM
tiny gsy
Scooby Regular

anyone?
Old 02 January 2006, 11:49 AM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

Depends on where you've got room. Don't know anything about the STi 8, but basically, a catch tank can go wherever you can mount it and run pipes to it. Try to get a relatively cool location if you can.
Old 02 January 2006, 06:47 PM
tiny gsy
Scooby Regular

thanks for that, any ideas which make would be best?
Old 03 January 2006, 01:05 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

Well I don't think the make really matters. Essentially it's just a metal box with ports to attach hoses to.

I'm in the middle of fitting an oil catch tank to my 98 WRX (intercepting the crankcase > induction pipe which seems to be the main cause of oil venting through to the intercooler). I'm using 2 metres of 12.5mm / 1/2" ID reinforced hose which I got from a hardware store for £4. I got the catch tank off of ebay for £35 delivered IIRC. It's aluminium with a 1 litre capacity, a sight glass, three ports and a drain plug at the bottom.

The thing is, because adding a catch tank to a classic Scoob is not a 'standard' mod - there are no off-the-shelf kits available, you might as well just get the cheapest setup you can find which will do the job. Mine is running the oil vapours through the tank then back to the inlet so the system still functions as intended for emissions purposes. Most people seem to just vent the exhausted air to atmosphere through a breather filter.

As far as I could see there is only one specific catch tank designed for the Impreza - it's made by Roger Clark Motorsport and has three entry ports for the crankcase vent and the pair of rocker cover vents. There is one larger exit port on the tank for venting under the car. It fits on the n/s of the engine bay near the bulkhead. Worth a look if you want a proper tidy system and you don't mind the cost.
Old 03 January 2006, 02:27 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have pics/diagrams of fittting?
Old 03 January 2006, 09:06 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough I do, thanks to all the boffins on here who helped me chew over the options when I was trying to get my head round the pros and cons of oil catch tanks and how exactly to fit one. I assume you've done a thorough search of all the threads discussing this kind of thing? There are pages and pages of it. If after that you're still not sure what needs to go where, then PM me with your email address and I'll try and send you some pics that I had.

As I said before, if you want a hassle free installation and don't mind the cost, go for the RCM catch tank, which is about £170 I think, but it fits perfect and suits what you need.