Notices

engine check warning light

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2005, 08:27 PM
picasso
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine check warning light

just been down to the local diy shop but on the way there the engine check warning light came on and stayed on . i had been stuck in several long traffic jams earlier today, probably being stationary for upto 35 mins with the engine running. could this have f*cked up the catalytic convertor? according to the habdbook this light shows that there cuold be a problem with the emmissions check system. the car is a my03sti uk ppp with 24000 miles on the clock. going to try and get in at my local dealer tomorrow morning. funny thing is the car drives ok!
Old 30 December 2005, 10:02 PM
KK3960
Scooby Regular

Hi I Had a similar problem a few months back on my 03WRX after a long motorway drive, Im assuming its the orange warning indicator shaped like an engine that came on??

Try and disconnect the battery for about 2/3 hours then reconnect it, or leave the engine turned off for 24-48 hours and then turn the ignition on. I was told to press the brake pedal for a couple of seconds whilst the battery was disconnected to drain away any stored voltage in the system. This should clear it.

See the link http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=456547

The CEL sensors can be a little tempremental sometimes. My car had only covered 20k from new also. I doubt very much its the CAT with that mileage, but you will be amazed how much the power you will attain should you do decide to remove these. Try the battery first before the dealers take your money Ive also got instructions on fault code checking should you need them. Let me know how you get on.

Last edited by KK3960; 30 December 2005 at 10:09 PM.
Old 30 December 2005, 11:31 PM
D16GER
Scooby Regular

Mine comes on all the damn time - MY03 WRX

I contacted Subaru Assistance and was assured that so long as there is no other symptoms, the car is fine to drive.

It is still advisable to have it checked though. The last 4 times my light has come on have all resulted in sensors needing replaced......

2 x Tumble Motors
1 x Wastegate Solenoid
1 x Oxygen Sensor
Old 31 December 2005, 05:38 PM
Speedmeister
Scooby Regular

I have an 03 WRX and mine came on the other day after fitting a WR Sport back box- presumably the engine management noticed a difference in back pressure which affected mixture or something?
Someone on here helpfully recommended switching engine on and off 5 times which did the trick. In fact it went out after the second time!
Hope that's useful
Old 31 December 2005, 06:40 PM
picasso
Scooby Regular

went to local dealers, still with warning light on, this morning, when i got there they had a power cut. talking to the salesman whilst they tried to restore power which unfortunately for them, but fortunately for me, they couldnt. left my phone number with them just in case they got the power restored, went outside started the car - hey presto no warning light. went back in and told them of this to which they replied "no worries this type of fault indication can be very temperamental - if it comes on again just give us a ring"
i can put my flexible friend away again for another rainy day
Old 31 December 2005, 06:50 PM
StephenPope
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by picasso
went to local dealers, still with warning light on, this morning, when i got there they had a power cut. talking to the salesman whilst they tried to restore power which unfortunately for them, but fortunately for me, they couldnt. left my phone number with them just in case they got the power restored, went outside started the car - hey presto no warning light. went back in and told them of this to which they replied "no worries this type of fault indication can be very temperamental - if it comes on again just give us a ring"
i can put my flexible friend away again for another rainy day
Mine went on the other day as well. See thread.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=479894

Sorted now!!! MY04 STI TSL 333