Notices

Thought big-ends had gone...now not so sure, more of a loud tapping noise?!

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2005, 07:48 PM
Ozzy_B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thought big-ends had gone...now not so sure, more of a loud tapping noise?!

I have a MY99 STi V5, 80k. 400 miles after a large service (dont know what oil previous owner used but I had Silkolene Pro-S 10w50 put in, this was the first service since I bought it) I was going through the gears on the motorway, at approx 6.5k rpm (4th gear) I heard a loud banging (cant remember the exact noise), thought it was big ends so pulled over straight away, recovery truck home, left in garage and has been there for the past 2 months.

After some recent advice/information I started it up for a couple of minutes, started first time and idles fine. The tapping is there on idle , it even slightly disappeared then came back whilst idling at one point, tapping increases/decreases with revs but doesnt seem to get louder or quieter.

The noise is definatly not a knocking, low rumble etc. It is a loud tapping noise - like hitting a metal spoon against the side of a metal pan. The noise seems more audible when listening from the top of the engine and sounded like it was coming from the middle of the engine ie where the crank is.

Apart from the tapping noise the engine appears to run fine . revs smoothly, idles fine, started first time..........just taps loudly!

Any ideas?

Forgot to add, this noise just suddenly happened whilst driving, it wasnt a noise that once was quiet then got progressively louder over time, like something all of a sudden 'went'/broke/seized etc...

Last edited by Ozzy_B; 30 December 2005 at 09:44 PM.
Old 30 December 2005, 07:53 PM
DIPSY
Scooby Regular

Get a long screwdriver to use as listening device and pin point were the noise is coming from in the engine
Old 01 January 2006, 05:25 PM
Ozzy_B
Scooby Regular

anymore.....