Notices

Help - car lost all drive

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2005, 01:57 PM
kin quick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - car lost all drive

I know this is a gearbox issue and should be in 'drivetrain' section - but I'm desperate to get help as I need to use the car over Xmas.........

Need some urgent advice, my car is an 02 WRX bugeye with 50k miles. Was turning into a road with a speed hump at the entrance, was only doing walking pace, as I went over the hump (wasnt very big and the bottom did NOT touch the hump) I heard a clicking noise, thought a mudflap had got caught, tried to pull away to park up and check it, the car just bogged right down and the clicking noise turned into a loud grinding noise. I was holding up traffic so put it in second and tried to pull away, the car really bogged down again and only just about moved.
Stopped ASAP, put it in neutral and lifted the clutch, the engine immediately died!!
Looked under the card, there wasnt much else I could do, no traces of oil or metal anywhere in the road or from under the car.
Checked the engine bay, all seemed ok. Started her up in neutral with the clutch down and the engine fired up absolutely fine.
Tried to bring the clutch up still in neutral and the car started to bog down, make loads of metal grinding noises and tried to edge forward.

I'm pretty sure the box has gone but not sure why - I never launch it from a stand still, have always treated it pretty delicate due to other peoples stories on here, and it's only got a TEK3 remap so cant have more than 280bhp.

Low loader came, the car was pushed without a problem when it was switched off and in neutral!!!!! - how does this work???

Engine on and in neutral - car dosent move without the clutch down
Engine off and in neutral - car can be moved without touching the clutch????

I dont understand why it moves with the engine off, but needs the clutch depressed when it's switched on!!

Sorry for the long thread, but I wanted to show exactly what happened
Could really do with some advice - has the box gone, centre diff, or the transfer box??
Is it all in one unit??? Or are they seperate???

All advice much appreciated

Ross
Old 11 December 2005, 03:14 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Possibly a front outer c/v joint has fallen to bits.The grinding noise could be the drive shaft tuning within the joint
Old 11 December 2005, 05:16 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

I'd say something on the mainshaft in the gearbox has collapsed.
Old 11 December 2005, 05:38 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

You won't know exactly what is wrong, but it needs the gearbox out and looking at.
Old 11 December 2005, 07:34 PM
kin quick
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies, I still cant believe it's gone due to driving it like a pansy 99% of the time!!
I'll have a good look at it, but never had a gearbox out before.
Will get someone to come over and look.

If the box is totally knackered - what would people suggest to be the best replacement box?? P1, STi, or just another WRX?? I havent got loads of cash at the mo so reckon the STi is out of the question.

Any help, much appreciated (for the second time)

Ross