Notices

De-cat or not De- cat????

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2005, 06:17 PM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default De-cat or not De- cat????

Seeing as i know **** all about this i would appreciate any advice you can give.

I have a MY03 WRX and have just fitted a scooysport back box. I have a years warranty left (used car extended ). So i dont want to go mad on mods. Yet. Im pretty chuffed with the scoobysport back box, nice sound, pretty subtle. I could handle more noise but was wondering what to do next. If i de-cat by changing the centre pipe will i get more noise?? I dont want to have to re-map car yet and wasnt sure if you need to re-map following a de-cat. I know obviously ill get more power with the partial de-cat which is good, but i just want a wee bit more noise as easily and cheaply as possible.

Cheers

Steve.
Old 08 December 2005, 06:27 PM
axgt_bwaii
Scooby Regular

you can get away with fitting the decat pipes without a remap. only thing is you will gain very little power without maping it to suit the new exhausts.

stew
Old 08 December 2005, 06:29 PM
axgt_bwaii
Scooby Regular

+ the only extra sound you will get is proberbly your turbo spooling up.
Old 08 December 2005, 06:40 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds

If you run with just the downpipe cat in place you will get an increase in noise and it will run fine with no need for a remap. Not so sure it'll make a difference to what you can hear from the turbo and I wouldn't expect an increase in power, ofcourse there will be some gains but nothing that you'll really feel.
Old 08 December 2005, 07:23 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

had mine fully decatted and mapped last weekend. this is a uk classic by the way

it went from 215bhp (are they 215ftlb standard?) to 240bhp 240ftlb with decat center section then remap.

then had a decat down pipe fitted and got 258bhp and now has 280ftlb of torque, i'd take a guess you'd see gains up to around that figure on the wrx being very similar base performace, funny thing with mine was the very high torque, not sure y but would epect to see about 260ftlb as well not 280, but dont take those figure for granted varies from car to car.

someone correct me if i'm wrong about uk turbo classics seeing similar gains to bug/new age wrx.

decat centre

full decat after map tweek

Old 08 December 2005, 08:27 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

out of the 3 cats on the WRX (03), if you had to leave 1 (for MOT reasons) which one would you leave.

Also, I may be able to get a decat centre, which of the up or down pipe should I replace????

thanks
Old 08 December 2005, 09:25 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Varboy
out of the 3 cats on the WRX (03), if you had to leave 1 (for MOT reasons) which one would you leave.

Also, I may be able to get a decat centre, which of the up or down pipe should I replace????

thanks
Don't know if this is gonna help or confuse you
On my 2004 WRX i had a decat uppipe & downpipe with standard centre cat and a ninja backbox, with this combination it would still pass a emissions test (had it checked at a MOT station) and was not too loud, i have recently had the centre cat removed and it has made it quite a bit louder but not over the top, also it has made the car pull a lot better with more midrange torque, all in all i would say go for a full decat but get it remapped to make the most of it