Notices

water leak

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2005, 04:08 PM
bobthebodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water leak

Hi all, need some help. Ive just looked under my 94 wrx for an oil leak ive got (rocker cover)....i was looking around and found the leak, so i thought not to bad. checked my water level and screwed the cap back on and got back under the car for another look. water was coming from the back of the engine ..how strange, so i started the car up just to listen to the engine, i then revved the engine from under the bonnet and i couldnt believe what i saw. water was spraying up onto the cooler, this is coming from next to the throttle where you rev it (right hand side).. looks like a few pipes down there, whats gone wrong???? water levels were fine so i guess its just happened. its firing out like spray and quite heavy.

HELPPPPPPPP IM GUTTED!!!

BOB

Last edited by bobthebodger; 08 December 2005 at 04:56 PM. Reason: added more
Old 08 December 2005, 04:59 PM
bobthebodger
Scooby Regular

hope its not my water pump!

Fresh jap import and my first scoob....no manual and a very strange upside down crazy looking engine.
Old 08 December 2005, 05:30 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it is near the throttle body then it sounds like the coolant feed to the throttle body to stop it freezing.

If you look there is a coolant hose about 10mm diameter which runs to a big ally pipe that runs under the inlet manifold which is the cross pipe.. there is a feed and a return from the ally pipe.

If you can get to the pipe with the lead you might be able to shorten it or remove the pipe wihtout the leak and fit it to the ally cross pipe in a circle (ie. not through the throttle body) so you have no leak until you find a replacement pipe.. although I run with no throittle body coolant pipes connected anyway.

Also check the jubilee clips you might find it is just a leaking connection to the throttle body as iirc they are the pinch and watch leak jubilees rather than proper screw tightenable ones.

Simon
Old 08 December 2005, 05:38 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

Also check the pipes to and from the idle control valve (if it is Phase1 or 1.5)
Old 08 December 2005, 05:48 PM
bobthebodger
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys...so it sounds like its not the end of the world after all.

More ideas are welcome if theres anymore

bob
Old 09 December 2005, 12:31 PM
bobthebodger
Scooby Regular

Afternoon guys, ive been out this morning and found the leak....theres a water pipe that goes into the engine and this is metal of some sort, theres a 10mm bolt that ive took out holding this pipe in but the bugger still wont come out!!....whats wrong? if you look at the throttle body this pipe is just to the right hand side and down about 10 inches.....theres a little pin head hole in this pipe, can it be repaired with something or will i have to replace??? very strange how this hole got there.

URGENT HELP NEEDED!!!!!

Thanks

bob
Old 09 December 2005, 01:02 PM
bobthebodger
Scooby Regular

Old 09 December 2005, 04:25 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

The metal pipe runs across the top of the engine block, then down the front, behind the rear cambelt cover on the passenger side of the motor. - It is connected to the water pump by a small piece of rubber hose, which you will be able to see from underneath the car.

There is another M6 bolt which secures the pipes to the front of the block - The pipe assembly is actually 2 pipes joined together at the bolt bracket. The other one goes across the block to the header tank

You will need to take the inlet manifold off, the cambelt, LH pulleys and rear cambelt cover etc to access and remove the pipes.

Not a particularly straightforward, simple job to cure a small water leak

Whereabouts are you based? - I can do the job for you, if you don't fancy attempting it

Last edited by FB Tuning; 09 December 2005 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09 December 2005, 07:01 PM
bobthebodger
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the offer matey .....the pipe is at the back of engine near the starter motor, theres 2 rubber pipes at the back and they join onto metal pipes, one of these metal pipes had a hole the size of a pin ***** in it. now where the metal pipe goes into the back of the engine there was a 10mm bolt...i removed this bolt and the rubber pipe and still it wouldnt budge, ive given up and bought some liquid metal type stuff and bodged it, hope it holds!...if not maybe you could help me, im from manchester buddy...you????

Thanks

bob

Last edited by bobthebodger; 09 December 2005 at 07:04 PM.