Notices

Oil Pre-luber (Automatic dry cranking)

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2005, 01:05 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pre-luber (Automatic dry cranking)

Hi all

I'm actually interested in this because I'm doing a uni project into oil-free turbochargers, but what's your opinion of this product/idea?

http://www.pre-luber.com/Automotive.htm
http://www.pre-luber.com/testing.htm

The idea seems to be that there's an auxillary electric oil pump which circulates the oil system before you start up so the car 'dry cranks' itself before every start. It will also continue to circulate the oil after you switch off, thus removing the need for turbo timing (this is the bit I'm interested in for my project as my oil-free turbos won't need turbo timing either).

It sounds like a good idea to me, my oil pressure gauge takes a second or so to leave 0bar after a start so I think pre-lubing could be worthwhile. Can you think of any cons with the idea? Perhaps it's over priced for what it is? Risk of failure? Anyone know of any other similar products?

Ben
Old 07 December 2005, 08:29 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember Power Engineering had a device which they intended to market which held oil under pressure when you switched off. Switching on released the pressurised oil through the galleries to the bearings. I can't remember them actually releasing it for sale, so I assume there were some problems. Does anyone else remember this?
JohnD
Old 07 December 2005, 08:41 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

The parts are protected by Oil .... it does NOT all drain back into the crankcase.

If you have a bearing surface resting on a sliver of oil then the last thing you want to do is to start pushing that oil by an electric pump.

Much better to rely, as always, on the oiled surfaces having enough protection for the first few movement cycles.

If an engine is started and allowed to idle slowly for a moment or two then, over say, 100,000miles it will be absolutely fine.

The cost therefore, at £500, is prohibitive (considering that it may, itself, need replacing after about 10 years!) .... the cost is really £1000 and thats a rebuild!

Pete
Old 07 December 2005, 08:58 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Whilst it's true that a boundary layer of good quality oil should protect the bearings until oil flow is initiated, it could be argued that pressurised oil ready and waiting in the galleries can be nothing but a good thing? As Pete says, you need to weigh the cost against benefits and I'm sure that quite a few people on here would invest in such a device if it proved reliable. I'm not sure (and I hope someone on here has the answer) but I would have thought such a system would be used on a F1 engine for example prior to start-up?
JohnD