Notices

no power steering

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2005, 11:54 PM
greegs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no power steering

Hi all, I have a MY99 uk impreza and lost power steering earlier tonight. I had been out mucking about with a mate and had just come off a roundabout and realised my power steering had gone. I stopped, opened bonnet and could see that fluid had sprayed onto exhaust and was pouring out underneath onto road - It's definately power steering fluid as i opened reservoir and it's empty. Cannot see exactly where it is leaking from but it's obviously quite severe as it was all over road under car more towards driver side though.
The only thing I can recall is about 45 minutes before this happened I was turning right at a set of lights and doing about 10mph and heard this clunk from the front drivers side - thought i had just run over an empty beer can at the time but wondering if this is related?
I'm driving to work(14 miles) tomorrow in impreza so mechanics can have a look. Is it safe to drive in present state? The steering does still work but is obviously very very stiff and I don't want to end up doing any damage.
Thanks
Gregor
Old 30 November 2005, 08:21 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

It is still safe to drive as power steering is just a drivers aid, obviously it will be stiff so throw more caution on bends etc as it will be harder to turn. It is quite common for the power steering to go, if you do a search on here you will probably find a fair bit of info. Mine leaks as well but at the moment it is only slight so I havent got round to looking where its coming from at the moment (to cold to be lying on a floor with a torch)
Old 30 November 2005, 10:10 AM
Chachi
Scooby Regular

Errrrrrr .... If you drive any distance without fluid in the system you're going to wreck your pump.

I lost mine after a bit to much fun doing donuts! Didn't have any choice but to drive 80 miles without assistance and knackered the bearings.

Try and find out where its leaking from, replacement pumps are about £80-£100 and easy enough to change your self, if you burst or split a pipe it starts to get a little trickier. If you're lucky you might've just pushed it all out the top of the reservoir.
Old 30 November 2005, 10:26 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Yes I know it will damage the pump didnt mention that as it is pretty obvious, but it will be safe to drive. Obviously dont recommend you just drive around without it but if your out somewhere and it goes then you dont always have an alternative
Old 30 November 2005, 12:02 PM
greegs
Scooby Regular

Thanks for help guys. Drove the car to work today seemed ok just obviously very heavy on the steering.

The mechanics at my work had a look for me over there pit earlier and the leak seems to be coming from one of the pipes that enter the top of the steering rack. They put in more fluid then started car and it's literally pouring out of join although the nut seemed tight. Mechanics undid nut and pipe seems ok no splits or anything. Been onto subaru dealer and have ordered an o-ring which i'm getting tomorrow first thing - I'm really hoping it's this and not needing a new steering rack.
Mechanic is going to refit pipe at lunchtime but I need to use car to get home later then drive back to work tomorrow around 30 miles in total - i'm i going to do anymore damage guys??
Has anyone had similar problem??

Gregor
Old 30 November 2005, 01:08 PM
scooby dave861
Scooby Newbie

The top pipe on the steering rack is the outlet port, unusual for this to suddenly start leaking. Make sure the top pinion seal has not blown. If it has then oil will run down onto pipe making it look like the actual pipe is leaking. If it does turn out to be the rack then at least you have given the system a good flushing before you fit a new one.
Old 30 November 2005, 01:39 PM
greegs
Scooby Regular

Car now fixed!!
Mechanics at work replaced o-ring and also pulled nut back up pipe slightly and fitted one here too so that when tightened it forces pipe in rack housing better and has worked a treat!!
Thanks for all your help
Gregor