Notices

Full lock grinding/clonk

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2005, 10:00 AM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full lock grinding/clonk

My MY00 has been having an intermittent problem the last couple of years whereby it clonks ( and the front end kinks/moves about ) on full lock in reverse (both left and right turns ). Kind of feels like the front end is jolting from side to side as you go backwards. It seemed to stop once i had done the initial reverse and happened mainly in the winter when heavy frost or very cold. issue disappeared in the spring and summer

Now all of a sudden it is doing this all the time in all conditions ( not just initial reverse but each time im on full lock ) + it happens when I go forwards on full lock either way . In addition, yesterday I noticed that the handling is now upset** and had some massive understeer going round a tight roundabout i could normally take 10 mph quicker + it feels like the nearside wheel is going straight on. I can also feel the clonk happening ( on left side i think ) but not to the degree i get when initially reversing. Going round a left hand bend is fine and the car feels good.

** ( just had geometry and bumpsteer redone by powerstation 3 months ago and car was handling superb until this ). Just for ref i also have Eibach springs, whiteline fron drop links, KYB stnd shocks, whiteline front strut brace and Antilift kit fitted.

I can only conclude that the issue has cause my suspension settings to be knocked out ( possibly toeing out now on near side? ) , but what could cause this clonk/jolting and upset the handling? CV joint/drive shaft issue? duff shock and spring is moving about due to the shock providing the support to the spring? ( think i might have a duff shock to boot as well so will remove strut at ther weekend and check ) Front differential issue?

Any suggestions folks as this is really frustrating ( and concerning for the wallet ) ?

Best Regards
Richard

Last edited by Richardw; 22 November 2005 at 10:11 AM.
Old 22 November 2005, 03:32 PM
mmmiddy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know about the handling issues, but mine has always had the full lock reversing problem.

It's a common complaint, I'm sure I've seen threads on here before, something to do with the diff I think.