Porting inlet components?

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2005, 08:56 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porting inlet components?

Hello,

I have been reading some of the mods that are listed on the scooby mods site regarding porting or "flowing" various parts like the throttle body and IC inlet pipes.

I would imagine that this is basically the same principle as porting a set of headers, its just makes the gasses flow easier with less disturbance. Now I'm not new to porting and gas flowing, but like to know what bits/parts other have done on the inlet side to standard components.

My inlet spec is APS CAK, 90mm MAF, Standard hose to Hybrid IHI turbo, STI8 IC and you know the rest.

Cheers for any help, advice, critisism.
Old 18 November 2005, 11:08 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

if you want to go mad you can look at every component and area from the turbo outlet to the inlet valve seat.

i.e (with a TMIC) smooth the casting in the turbo, put a nice leading angle on the entrance to the Y pipe and sort out inside the Y pipe as much as you can reach, match up the inlets into the IC, put a leading edge and angle into the throttle body and knife edge the leading edge of the butterfly etc. then there is obviously the heads and inlet manifold. be careful in the TB and butterfly area.
wether this is worth the time and effort on a road car is another matter, given that standard ports etc can flow enough for 450bhp+
Old 18 November 2005, 11:40 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Mark has gone much further than me but the bits that I did do were easily reachable and could be replaced if I fluffed them. I did the TB and butterfly even though it is good enough to flow 450 as standard, I did it to improve flow and response and as Tesco says "every little helps" it also prepares things if you want to go further later on.

F
Old 19 November 2005, 09:17 AM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

floyd, i have only really done all the head work and the inlet manifold. its on the long list of jobs to do from the TB back to the turbo.

WOBH floyds alround set up has been commended by people as being a great package and his porting and smoothing will only have helped matters.
Old 20 November 2005, 08:30 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys for that. I was thinking about the inlet to the cast pipe on the Y piece which seems straight forward, but the TB is the worrying bit.

I have read that the only part that should be ported or flowed is the bottom half. The butterfly I was going to leave well alone though.