Notices

Powerstation (Type 20) Impreza Power Upgrade - oooh yes

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2005, 04:41 PM
MBK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Powerstation (Type 20) Impreza Power Upgrade - oooh yes

Completed the upgrades on my 04 STi Type UK PPP yesterday with the addition of the Powerstation Type 20 Power Upgrade - which includes Milltek 3" exhaust, K&N Filter and ecuteck remap, estimated to give about 315bhp.....though as you can see below that's being a tad conservative on their part.

(you can read about the T25 suspension kit I previously had fitted and difference in the suspension forum if interested, in my opinion it is a key factor in the success of the overall package)

So they say a 'picture speaks a thousand words', and there is one below for you to look at, but to really understand the value of this package you actually have to hear and feel the difference too.

The main benefits over the PPP pack (which I had for 10K miles) are:

- Seductive power delivery and acceleration - the car feels like it is always 'in the zone' and ready to deliver more.

- Instant throttle response, the delivery now feels alive, point, press and go.

- The feeling of power is immense, there is more turbo shove as the power comes in and it seems to last far longer. The pull in 5th is like 3rd under PPP, and 6th like the previous 4th.

- Overtaking...too easy, enough said.

- Even less need to rev high, so earlier gear changes seem more natural, without the need to hold the gear. No need to light up the shift light, which I certainly did with PPP. I did notice I tended to change gear slightly more probably to keep the sweet spot and to listen to....

- The noise, without doubt my favourite part (and surely one of the enduring charms of the scoob), at idle the flat four dug-a-dug-a is increased in tone without actually being more noisy. Cruising is acceptable with a deeper more chesty sound resonating through the car, without being intrusive (so far as this is true of any Impreza!). On the throttle, the car rises from a deep slumbering flat four throb, to a throaty roar and on to a WRC like scream past 6K revs. The turbo whistles away in harmony giving a real WRC effect - not one for the wallflowers then!!

- General driving is more relaxed; I would say the car has gone from drivable to effortless on a subjective scale of driving ease!

- Fuel economy may well have been slightly better, but its early days!!

- Matched with the T25 suspension kit this is the car the Impreza should be from the showroom, it would easily justify a £28K price tag then. The extra power really shows off the quality of the suspension mods. The car is flat and controllable under acceleration and braking, all the ducking, bobbing and weaving of the standard car is gone. Is it idiot proof? No it certainly isn't it is more neutral and with the extra power restraint is required in wet and slippy conditions, powering out of tight corners. Its all a little more delicate and balanced, dare I say feeling more like an Evo 8/9 MRFQ than a Scoob. There is just an innate extra sense of being part of the car due to the feedback from the exhaust, communicative steering and the sensation through the drivers seat - which also seems to work better following this mod (probably because the strange 'STi bounce' is cured).

- In Summary (and there will be more to follow as I learn more), the car is now as it always should have been, plenty of power on tap, a soundtrack Green Day would be proud of, suspension that makes the car feel like its magnetised to the road and magic carpet like ability to cover ground safely and securely - oh and my mum could still drive it if she really wanted to!! I looked at Evo's (too expensive, silly service intervals & less brand association for me) and the new Spec C (not sure I am yet enough driver for the car, ooh and they cost a penny or too as well). Clarkson said sell everything and buy an Evo, I say no need. For £3.5K you can have all the Evo offers and more on whatever Scoob you happen to have now, a lot more affordable I think. If you have the budget no doubt you will do for a T20 Spec C, if not this pack is a worthy alternative - you will be amazed.

Why I use PowerStation for my mods:

- They explain everything they have done and the expected results, there are no secrets and they are happy for you to see the work being done.

- The price is clear and agreed at the outset.

- The relationship does not end when you hand over your cash (take note IM dealers), there is ongoing support and advice available.

- Attention to detail is astounding, true professionals.

- Your car is treated carefully at all times, protective covers etc are used - never noticed that at the local Stealers.

- They are friendly bunch of guys who actually appreciate customers and will get to know you if you treat them with the same positive attitude.

- The products exceed expectation - there is no wild claim that can't be met, just honesty in doing a fine job.

- If they offered a money back satisfaction guarantee they wouldn't be giving any cash back!!

Thanks again guys,

Mark

Hmm...330bhp, 'quote me happy'!
Old 04 November 2005, 05:21 PM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

awesome!
Old 04 November 2005, 08:38 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

there was a great article in evo last year comparing ppp alikes ie ecutek powerstation came well recommended-they should as they do the t25!
it is prob similar to tsl 333 compared to ppp-as it should have been in the first place driveable with lots of power,i am tempted by ast suspension/anti lift kit but as i have just bought chargecooler and new brakes it will have to wait
martin
Old 04 November 2005, 09:34 PM
MBK
Scooby Regular

Yep remember the evo article well, I like the simplicity of this package and the tremendous results achieved. I agree it is as PPP should be but then then would need to sort the handling too (though I think on 05/06's this is sorted with the chassis revisions?). The charge cooler and brakes sound nice...hmmm now I see why the mod quest never ends. Alignment and antilift might be a good halfway house for now!!
Old 04 November 2005, 11:46 PM
Robocop
Scooby Regular

MBK
A nice and informative review. Do you mind telling how much the power upgrade cost please?
Old 05 November 2005, 09:16 AM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

http://www.powerstation.org.uk/subaru_tuning.asp
Old 05 November 2005, 09:41 AM
MBK
Scooby Regular

Cost was 1600+vat as stated on their website above
Old 05 November 2005, 09:54 AM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Cracking torque figures too
Good write up, thanks.
Old 05 November 2005, 09:59 AM
MBK
Scooby Regular

Cheers Trap2, I think they have made a few ££££ from Welsh scoobys this week!!
Old 05 November 2005, 10:21 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

nice flat torque curve there! Wheel loses look a bit high though......
Old 05 November 2005, 12:02 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MBK
Cheers Trap2, I think they have made a few ££££ from Welsh scoobys this week!!
Absolutley! We spent £3,300 between us last Monday and dram went for an ecutek on Tues or Wed last week.....

I haven't got access to a scanner at the moment so I've taken a picture of my graph with a digital camera. It has "before" and "after" lines for torque and power.

Old 05 November 2005, 02:50 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

This month's EVO Mag has a good write up about the 2006 T20 at the Tuner GP.

Fastest jap car car there all day on the track, which included the T25 (which did have a turbo problem admittedly ).

Seems it was a little more tweaked with 380 BHP and some 12 Pots, but all in all a damn fine motor... welcome to the club..

Old 05 November 2005, 04:05 PM
MBK
Scooby Regular

Cheers Alan, your car looks great , got to get a lower front lip spolier soon!! I had a drive in that T20 Spec C from the article, and wow its quick, this is enough for me for now.....

I wonder if PowerStation/Litchfields will let me have some of those lovely T20 graphics???

Trap 2 - the bhp line is good on your graph but the torque gain is awesome!!
Old 05 November 2005, 05:35 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alan: What tyres are those on the car? Could you post full details please (and what do you think of them?)
Thanks, Graham
Old 05 November 2005, 06:46 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Look like RE070's to me Graham..?
Old 05 November 2005, 07:01 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

MBK - I got the graphics from Iain. Last time I looked Tim had a small box full....

Graham.. Jasonius is correct. Bridgestone Potenza RE070's. Std on the JDM for my year. Probably still are as they are a lovely road tyre... a tad noisy, but the grip and feel make up for that.

Better view of the tread pattern which explains the dry grip...

Last edited by ex-webby; 05 November 2005 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05 November 2005, 08:26 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

MBK,
Sounds like your pleased with the conversion (which above all else is THE main thing).

But..... now you have sampled the delights of the JDM car I thought I would wet your appetite (but based on your comments of the T20, it doesnt sound like you need it)!

The lesser power/torque figures are from a UK STi quite highly modified with inlet mods, exhaust mods, FMIC and hybrid TD05. The higher figures are from my Spec C, part way through testing (with basic breathing and exhaust mods). Most people concentrate too much on peak figures...... it's not until you compare directly across the whole of the rev range that you realise the real benefits.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 05 November 2005, 09:19 PM
MBK
Scooby Regular

Cheers Shaun, they are some serious figures, thanks for sharing!! I will be joining you in JDM Spec C land next year when I have improved my driving enough to really appreciate what I have got. The T20 mods are enough...for now, and it was still a very close run decision between these mods and a new Spec C!

I know what you mean about improvement across the whole rev range, thats why I was keen to say in my write up that the graph, impressive as it is, says nothing really about the quality of the tuning results. Your reports on mods are superb and it just makes you realise how far you can go...and that there is always a bigger fish!! For £3.5K the results on the STi UK are great for me, an average enthusiastic driver - having met a few of the guys who post on here I know many are way beyond that. Then when you hear about the kind of people that own T25's and them rating them better than many prestige performance cars you know you are in good hands at PowerStation whatever level of mod you can afford. Its all subjective and having come 'through the Impreza ranks' of Classic Turbo, P1 and new age STi, and now T20 I just look forward to enjoying the journey to the next car. Everytime I have thought wow can the horizon really be drawn in any faster - and every time it can...what a car and how lucky are we all (and I mean all Impreza's) to own them!!
Old 06 November 2005, 08:12 AM
Scooby Regular

What a graph to have!
The performance is there so early in the rev range
It is the area under the graph that is the measure of a good tuned engine not a (nasty?) peak in one spot.
Thanks for the tyre info. i know PS have these tyres in their shop but not in 17's I think?
Graham.