Notices

help please- ECU/wiring and engine questions

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2005, 09:47 AM
richbaker78
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help please- ECU/wiring and engine questions

HI all - this is a bit of a different query - hope someone can help.
I have purchased a WRX ej20t engine with complete car loom (not just engine loom) and ecu with all the relays, immobilser etc etc and even the ignition barrel and key etc. I was told it had a key and its all on a 90 day warantee from the savlage place.

BUT the key is not the correct key (and they cant find it)- as its an 02 UK spec model it has an inbuilt transponder and ECU immobiliser - this means that i have a number of choices:
1) return the lot for a ful refund - but its a nice engine etc and I think ill struggle to find a similar one for the £ i paid.
2) get another ECU and loom complete with key - can I??
3) get the key recut / recoded at the salvage yard expense.

With 2 and 3 in mind i visited my local suabru dealer who i think thought id just nicked a car!!! but anyway he said:

a)you cant reporgramme the key without all the loom hooked up to the car and engine - is this tru? surely the ecu wont know if the cars present or not?

b)you cant get another loom as the engine will only run with that loom? surely this is crazy - imagine if I had blown my engine up surely that doesnt mean i have an ireplacable engine?

c)When I asked if I could bring the whole loom complete with relays, vin number, reciept of purchase etc - he said that the origianl sensors and anciliarys etc all had to be present to reprogramme which also doesnt make sense to me- if my car had had a faulty sensor this would lock down the whole engine if this is the case or in the event that i replace anything in the loom for example a lambda sensor then the ECU wouldnt recognise it - I just cant believe this is the case.

Can anyone help me - I need to decide what route to persue with the salvage yard. Have I been mis-informed - ive spoken to another person who has said he had his ECU/chip reprogrammed at his subaru garage with no problem.

I have already explained that the car is now a small cube and there is no possibiliy of brigning it in. I also dont want to fit the whole lot then trailer it to the dealer to find they cant reprogramme!! HELP in very confused about this.

what would be really good is if the salvage yard cna provide me a loom, ECU and key etc from another car in str8 exchange which I can simply hook up to my current engine. someone tell me this is possible please!!!!!
Cheeers
Rich
ps- the reason I cant use existing loom is because it all going in vw camper (another reason the garage guy didnt like me!)

Last edited by richbaker78; 04 November 2005 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04 November 2005, 09:59 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

I would have thought an ecu with the correct key and ignition barrel would be all you needed providing they were from the same year and model car. The wireing for the model and year will all be the same.
Old 06 November 2005, 08:01 AM
3barboost
Scooby Regular

take the ecu out, take the key and barrel you have along to your subaru dealer (or ecutek) show them all the paperwork you have to convince them its not stolen, they then install your ecu into a comparable car (second hand lot) and attach the subaru select monitor to the obd port of the vehicle and then they begin to tell the ecu to acknowledge the new key - your key, if your local subaru dealer charges you too much for this get hold of an ecutek dealer to do the same - job done
Old 06 November 2005, 05:41 PM
richbaker78
Scooby Regular

that is just what I want to hear! cheers for all the help guys - im very relieved now! Thanks again.

Rich