Notices

2000 Classic or 2001 WRX (bug eye)

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2005, 02:39 PM
shailet
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Classic or 2001 WRX (bug eye)

My first post!

I need some help deciding which Impreza to buy, I have the choice between a classic 2000w reg with low mileage (<40k) and a bug eye 2001 wrx with just under 50k.

There is a price difference between the 2 of £700 more for the WRX. Both cars are UK with 12months subaru warranty.

Now, I like the classic shape more, it is lower ins grp BUT is it worth buying over the WRX? Which car is going to be more reliable?

Very confused, have read all posts regarding the classic and it is a great car but just seems expensive when compared to the WRX.

Any advise to help make this decision will be most welcome.

Cheers
S
Old 03 November 2005, 03:20 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

Mate, do a quick search, there is already a long bug eye vs classic thread running... comes round every week or 2
Old 03 November 2005, 03:23 PM
shailet
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrynO
Mate, do a quick search, there is already a long bug eye vs classic thread running... comes round every week or 2
will try search again. If you find the thread then please let me know!

Cheers
S
Old 03 November 2005, 03:56 PM
shailet
Scooby Regular

bryno,

have tried various searches, "bugeye", "classic", "versus" etc but have not found the thread. If anyone finds it please reply to this with the thread link.
Thanks
S
Old 03 November 2005, 04:44 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

Here you go...

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=468288
Old 03 November 2005, 04:54 PM
shailet
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BrynO
Bryno,
Thanks v much, not sure what you put in the search criteria but much appreciated!

Read through the thread and is pretty much what I thought, drive both models and see which you like.

hmmmm.....
Old 03 November 2005, 08:29 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

People say Classic is more raw and gutsy feeling and ride quality is a bit harsher.

Bugeye (basic WRX like mine) is said to provide a more 'grown up experience' and is all round nicer car to drive on everyday roads - with a perception that power delivery and acceleration is somewhat less 'in your face'. I certainly find it is nice and smooth to drive around town or in heavy traffic - and certainly no worse over poor surfaces than my old Primera SRi. I usually get out after a long journey reasonably relaxed.

Watch the bugeye as at 50,000 miles the service includes a cambelt change, so make sure it has been done.
Old 04 November 2005, 09:39 AM
shailet
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pmarch
People say Classic is more raw and gutsy feeling and ride quality is a bit harsher.

Bugeye (basic WRX like mine) is said to provide a more 'grown up experience' and is all round nicer car to drive on everyday roads - with a perception that power delivery and acceleration is somewhat less 'in your face'. I certainly find it is nice and smooth to drive around town or in heavy traffic - and certainly no worse over poor surfaces than my old Primera SRi. I usually get out after a long journey reasonably relaxed.

Watch the bugeye as at 50,000 miles the service includes a cambelt change, so make sure it has been done.
Pmarch,
Thanks for the info, I am going to drive both the classic and 01 WRX tomorrow back to back and that should help clarify what I prefer.
Old 04 November 2005, 08:13 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shailet
Pmarch,
Thanks for the info, I am going to drive both the classic and 01 WRX tomorrow back to back and that should help clarify what I prefer.
I'd be interested in what you think are the relative merits as I have never driven a classic, even though it was what I was going to look at originally.
Old 05 November 2005, 07:49 AM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

keep us informed! im in the same boat mate! just need to get round to looking at both!post up what u thought about them both!!
Old 06 November 2005, 01:33 PM
shailet
Scooby Regular

Default bought the classic

well, after a long day yesterday I ended up buying a mint my00 classic with PPP ecu remap, pipercross induction kit, forge VTA d/v and STI backbox. Only done 36k, dealer is replacing cambelt for me and will pick it up on Sunday next week.

Drove the my05 WRX and it felt more confortable inside, the interior is a lot better. It handled about the same as the classic however I did get a bit more understeer and roll compared to the classic, probably because it is a heavier car. The classic did feel quicker but suspect that is down to the ppp ecu. Really couldnt afford the new age anyhow with ins grp 19 etc, I also like the classic shape alot more even through the interior is sub standard.

Been waiting for 5 years to get me a nice turbo so am chuffed! However from reading various threads I think I will sell the forge VTA dump valve and replace with a re-circ forge item, dont want to risk over fuelling and hence bore wear.
Old 07 November 2005, 08:58 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

well, after a long day yesterday I ended up buying a mint my00 classic with PPP ecu remap, pipercross induction kit, forge VTA d/v and STI backbox. Only done 36k, dealer is replacing cambelt for me and will pick it up on Sunday next week.

Drove the my05 WRX and it felt more confortable inside, the interior is a lot better. It handled about the same as the classic however I did get a bit more understeer and roll compared to the classic, probably because it is a heavier car. The classic did feel quicker but suspect that is down to the ppp ecu. Really couldnt afford the new age anyhow with ins grp 19 etc, I also like the classic shape alot more even through the interior is sub standard.

Been waiting for 5 years to get me a nice turbo so am chuffed! However from reading various threads I think I will sell the forge VTA dump valve and replace with a re-circ forge item, dont want to risk over fuelling and hence bore wear.
Good for you- hope you enjoy it - this might sound boring but from what I've read it may make sense to put an original spec DV back on - and you could easily jazz up the interior a bit with just a few touches like for example momo air race gear **** and aluminium gear surround.
Old 07 November 2005, 10:50 PM
shailet
Scooby Regular

cheers pmarch,

thinking the same about the DV,either get a forge re-circ or OE part, was thinking myabe safer with forge item since running ppp, but reading other threads it does seem the OE item is strong enough.
Old 14 November 2005, 01:56 PM
shailet
Scooby Regular

Smile Finally mine!

Picked up the turbo on Sunday, nice and clean from the dealer! Very happy with the car, the way it corners and goes is amazin, very different to my previous car, the Leon Cupra.

Going to have to get rid of the forge d/v, its very noisy and attracts a bit too much attention for my liking. The s/s gear box is difficult to use when cold, 1st and reverse are a little tricky to get but once warmed up it isnt that bad, reckon next service get the gearbox oil changed.

So, really happy, loving the car and it will hopefully last me a good long time before the inevitable "kids" come along and the Scooby becomes too expensive to keep.
Old 14 November 2005, 05:58 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Picked up the turbo on Sunday, nice and clean from the dealer! Very happy with the car, the way it corners and goes is amazin, very different to my previous car, the Leon Cupra.

Going to have to get rid of the forge d/v, its very noisy and attracts a bit too much attention for my liking. The s/s gear box is difficult to use when cold, 1st and reverse are a little tricky to get but once warmed up it isnt that bad, reckon next service get the gearbox oil changed.

So, really happy, loving the car and it will hopefully last me a good long time before the inevitable "kids" come along and the Scooby becomes too expensive to keep.
Congratulations mate, you won't regret it