Notices

400hp Goal

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2005, 01:02 PM
luffy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400hp Goal

Quick intro: i currently own a skyline which i am having to seel due to new baby on way and i doubt i will get to drive it a lot, so i have decided to go for a 4 door car that i can still modify and enjoy as much as the skyline.

onto the good stuff:

i love the shape of the "newer" imprezas, 2003+ so i have been looking at getting one of them, along with the purchase of the car i am hoping i will have about £10k (maybe a bit more) to spend on modifying it.

i want to keep it road worthy as i will use it most of the time but i also want some good figures and 400hp is what i would like.

my question is (being new to the scene), would i need major modifications to the engine internals to reach this figure?

what are the major mods that i would need?

is it possible with my budget?

should i look at getting a particular model of impreza like STI because of better standard equipment and engine internals?

aswell as the impreza i have been looking at the EVO, they talk of price like £2k to reach 380bhp, is this similar with the impreza or not, looking at the evo, there is a limit of bout 380-400 on a standard tubbie and that so most people stay round that figure, is this the same with the impreza.

thanks for all your help in advance.

and also: what tuners would you recommend i speak to and use?
Old 03 November 2005, 01:08 PM
luffy
Scooby Regular

what i would also like to do with the budget is be able to afford a nice set of alloys, new suspension and brakes if at all possible along with my hp goal.

cheers
Old 03 November 2005, 01:13 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

id say that you may need to upgrade a fair bit more on the impreza than with the EVO. You would need an STI as the base car at any rate to acheive 400 sensibly. You would definitely need to change the turbo though to something a fair bit larger, the standard turbo will run out of puff at about 350-360 if your very lucky.

It depends on how drivable you want the car to be, IMO 400 on a 2l car will never be the most practical for use on the road as the turbo needed to produce that power will not spool until a bout 4k rpm. Are you trying to match the power you had in your skyline? If so then i would suggest that you dont need 400 and that 350 would do you, given that the skyline will give away about 120kg-150kg to the STi in weight and is a bit more nimble.

Does that make sense?
Old 03 November 2005, 01:19 PM
luffy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neilo
id say that you may need to upgrade a fair bit more on the impreza than with the EVO. You would need an STI as the base car at any rate to acheive 400 sensibly. You would definitely need to change the turbo though to something a fair bit larger, the standard turbo will run out of puff at about 350-360 if your very lucky.

It depends on how drivable you want the car to be, IMO 400 on a 2l car will never be the most practical for use on the road as the turbo needed to produce that power will not spool until a bout 4k rpm. Are you trying to match the power you had in your skyline? If so then i would suggest that you dont need 400 and that 350 would do you, given that the skyline will give away about 120kg-150kg to the STi in weight and is a bit more nimble.

Does that make sense?
yes it does, in a way i am trying to match similar to what i had in my skyline (500bhp) but not as much as i want it to be more driveably everyday with the capability of going well round a track when needed. i get what you mean with the power difference needed though, i have seen 400hp/400lbt go as fast up the strip as a 500+ skyline.

i have also been looking at the 06 impreza JDM STI from litchfield as they come with 320hp standard and probable wouldnt take alot to get above 350hp.

as far as turbo lag goes i had a big turbo (td06-25g) on my skyline which was quite laggy and i quite liked it because you could drive around quite easily not using the turbo if you kept it below 4.5k if you know what i mean
Old 03 November 2005, 01:26 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Luffy,

A JDM STi is what you want as these make good power when modifying. With a decat, filter, uprated actuator, 3 port boost solenoid cars are achieving around 370/380bhp.

Iain Litchfield and Powerstation are the guys to speak on this as they have done a lot of R&D work on modding the new JDM twin scroll impreza's.

HTH.
Old 03 November 2005, 01:28 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Luffy,

Personally I would suggest you go with a JDM Twin Scroll STi/Spec C (based on your requirements). I have been completing a fair amount of testing over the past 6 months (article due to be produced for the Article Forum fairly soon - Introduction already up - for Engine Stage 1).

Although it has already been highlighted and proven by others that the Newage Twin Scroll JDM models are very Open Minded to simple mods, I thought it would be a good idea to document and test this by looking at what is available for resonable money and what works and what doesnt (not many companies have really spent time developing Twin Scroll's).

Even though the findings and results of each stage are far more detailed, the upshot was the ability to extract 370bhp, while on pump fuel, improving driveability and all for well under £2k........ just incase your wondering, this was acheived without straining the guts out of the engine or the standard Turbo.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Shaun.

Last edited by ex-webby; 03 November 2005 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03 November 2005, 01:31 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Originally Posted by SPEN555
Iain Litchfield and Powerstation are the guys to speak on this as they have done a lot of R&D work on modding the new JDM twin scroll impreza's.

Trending Topics

Old 03 November 2005, 01:35 PM
luffy
Scooby Regular

i have emailed litchfield regarding the new jdm sti as i only live half an hour from them asking them what extras they can offer ontop of the std 320hp to increase the bhp.

they also offer the ecutek aswell, so maybe that and the above mentioned mods like induction kit, exhaust i should see 380hp which is what i would hope for.

do you work for litchfield then webmaster?

thanks for your help guys,
Old 03 November 2005, 01:37 PM
luffy
Scooby Regular

basically my 10k modifying budget was based on getting a car for bout £20k and going from there, so if i can get a 06 jdm sti for £26k an extra £3k on a few addtional mods is perfect!
Old 03 November 2005, 01:40 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by webmaster
Shouldn't you be busy proof reading? I am anxious to read this much anticipated article.
Old 03 November 2005, 01:45 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by luffy
basically my 10k modifying budget was based on getting a car for bout £20k and going from there, so if i can get a 06 jdm sti for £26k an extra £3k on a few addtional mods is perfect!
Or you could get a 03/04 JDM STi which I have seen advertised on here second hand for silly money. I have seen them for sale in the foe sale section around £16k/£17k!!!! Then that would leave a lot more for mods and a bit of extra dosh for nappies
Old 03 November 2005, 01:48 PM
luffy
Scooby Regular

that cheap? i better take a better look then!!!
Old 03 November 2005, 02:20 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Luffy,

Here's one, don't know whether it is sold now though;

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=462979
Old 03 November 2005, 02:43 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Luffy,

Powerstation couldnt afford me!

Seriously though... I don't work for Powerstation and/or Litchfield Imports. My reason for the was that they are one of the few companies to complete development on the Twin Scroll cars, and for this very reason where 2 of the companies that I have been working with over the past 6 months in production of this part of the article.

SPEN555,
Two parties have proof read, only one other party to go and one outstanding photo and it's ready!

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 03 November 2005, 02:48 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Photo's as well!! Now I'm drooling.

P.S. tell em to hurry up.