Apexi Power Intake = Safe?

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2005, 01:37 PM
OcTag3n
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Apexi Power Intake = Safe?

Hello all,

I've just fitted one of these induction kits to my 1995 WRX. Will it do more harm than good, as I've just been reading a few threads on here about lean fueling on full boost & other problems linked to an induction kit. Can anyone put me at ease before I take it off & go back to my original filter. I can't say that I noticed much, if any, improvement from fitting the induction kit anyway.

Thanks for any help.
Old 02 November 2005, 02:58 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fitting an induction kit with a standard ecu will not do any harm. You may get more air into the engine however the cars are set up to run rich anyway so there should be no issues with running lean.
Just make sure that the induction kit is secure and not moving around as this can cause maf faults
Old 02 November 2005, 03:07 PM
morpheous
Scooby Regular

Utter ****e !!
Fitting an induction kit on any turbo chargec n/a engined car with no supporting mods and means of monitering afr's knock etc: is running the high risk of lean fuelling,
You were rite to read threads on here as there are plenty with blown engines through messing around with bolt on tat.
When you put an induction kit on the maf sees a larger flow of air across it and sometimes carnt compensate for it thus runs lean,if your going to fit one then use a quality one,and if poss monitor the changes,just by fitting i/kit will not always mean more power without supporting mods,a panel filter in standard airbox runs easily above 300bhp.

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
fitting an induction kit with a standard ecu will not do any harm. You may get more air into the engine however the cars are set up to run rich anyway so there should be no issues with running lean.
Just make sure that the induction kit is secure and not moving around as this can cause maf faults
Old 02 November 2005, 03:29 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by morpheous
Utter ****e !!
Fitting an induction kit on any turbo chargec n/a engined car with no supporting mods and means of monitering afr's knock etc: is running the high risk of lean fuelling,
You were rite to read threads on here as there are plenty with blown engines through messing around with bolt on tat.
When you put an induction kit on the maf sees a larger flow of air across it and sometimes carnt compensate for it thus runs lean,if your going to fit one then use a quality one,and if poss monitor the changes,just by fitting i/kit will not always mean more power without supporting mods,a panel filter in standard airbox runs easily above 300bhp.
fitting an induction kit will not damage your engine. Plenty of tuners on here will say that there is enough of a safety level (ie rich fuelling on STANDARD ecu's). The maf may see a larger flow of air but it will send the max signal it can to the ecu (which is already fuelling the car to rich as standard)
I agree with you on the monitoring, always a good idea on a turbo car as obviously it can warn of any imprending dangers.
FWIW I have an my92 with a U8 ecu which I believe is a jap ecu, I quite often run it on normal 95 unleaded sometimes give it a bit of stick on a roads/motorways and the most I have seen on my knocklink is the second green (a handful of times), this is with a full decat system inc downpipe, and apexi induction kit
Old 02 November 2005, 03:37 PM
morpheous
Scooby Regular

Everyone has the rite to an opinion BUt theres a whole lot out there

Just a recent one i read
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=468040
Old 02 November 2005, 03:37 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When some factory cars run say 10% on the rich side for the sake of the cat and sustained top speed, what happens when you fit an induction kit that makes it 20% leaner such as the APS CAK on 99/00 cars? Kabooom.
Old 02 November 2005, 03:42 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Also the load seen by the MAF sensor is reduced so the ecu runs more timing and less fuel (lower in the load table).. too much timing and not enough fuel.. hmmmmmm...
tick tick tick

Trending Topics

Old 02 November 2005, 03:47 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Yes everyone does have a right to an opinion, and I would say with a car that has been mapped then yes I would say it would be a worry as it will be mapped to use available ingredients (fuel/air) more effectivelty therefore removing some of the factory safety margin, however imho a standard ecu has enough of a safety margin built in for it not to be a worry, it has to for instance bad batches of fuel etc.

However, like I said in an earlier post, you do need to make sure the induction kit is secure so that it is not moving about which could affect the maf and obviously fuelling.
Old 02 November 2005, 04:54 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

IIRC, Harvey's STI engine running on its standard ECU let go after 10 or so miles with an APS induction kit installed. It spurred him on to a rebuild and fantastic results thereafter, but I'm sure it wasn't welcomed.

Most do not give the offsets that APS induction can, but it is very naive to assume they won't without measuring it unless it has been commonly fitted to your model and year of car and checked by others.
Old 02 November 2005, 05:28 PM
OcTag3n
Scooby Regular

I'm taking it off tomorrow after reading this & opting for a panel filter instead, Cheers everybody for your advice.
Old 02 November 2005, 10:35 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

The Apexi is a quality induction kit but it does need setting up properly to be safe. Best stick to a panel filter until ready for a remap. The Green replacement panels are regarded as being about the best.