Notices

my first post, ball breaking question.

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2005, 11:07 AM
apac
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my first post, ball breaking question.

good mornig all. i'm new to this forum and have been desperately trying to find the answer to the following. found a post on here from about 10 days ago by 'scooby who' who is also looking for the same answers as me.

i have a MY1999 U.K turbo classic. ninja back box and centre decat (not much else). wanting t go for the full (downpipe) decat. i was hoping i could get some ball breaking questions answered before a wreck my pride n joy.

1. is it o.k to fully decat this model car with standard ECU without a remap and not have any long term probs?

2. what probs if any could occur? can they be remedied?

3. would a cell fix be needed in order to stop engine light coming on?(have heard this is only the case with MY2001 onwards?) why would the engine light come on, this must be a problem occuring?

4. (hope this does not sound daft) but, has a knocklink got anything to do with any of the above, and what is a knocklink, what does it do?

so many questions, but not many answers. hope this is not too much at once, but i'm sure others on here would love to find out also.

thanks in advance, any replies are appreciated.

rgds, apac.

Old 26 October 2005, 11:21 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by apac
i have a MY1999 U.K turbo classic. ninja back box and centre decat (not much else). wanting t go for the full (downpipe) decat. i was hoping i could get some ball breaking questions answered before a wreck my pride n joy.

1. is it o.k to fully decat this model car with standard ECU without a remap and not have any long term probs?
A: you will not need to have a remap with a decat downpipe. A remap though is worthwhile though as you can get the car running to its optimum potential for the mods you do have. (plus side you can get better economy as well)

2. what probs if any could occur? can they be remedied?
A: serious grin on your face, much annoyance to the neighbours with the increase in noise. The latter can be remedied with a set of ear defenders.

3. would a cell fix be needed in order to stop engine light coming on?(have heard this is only the case with MY2001 onwards?) why would the engine light come on, this must be a problem occuring?
A: No, you just need to have the egt sensor disconnected

4. (hope this does not sound daft) but, has a knocklink got anything to do with any of the above, and what is a knocklink, what does it do?
A: A knocklink monitors engine detonation, good to have and can often detect early problems (whether or not you can then prevent any problems escalating is another matter, but it may give you time) It could detect engine knock if you have a bad batch of fuel in the tank for instance so you could keep boost driving to a minimum or add octane booster

Hope this clears things up a bit for you
Old 26 October 2005, 11:55 AM
apac
Scooby Regular

thanks for the above jtc. will be doing a TEK 3 remap (one day). how do people get away with full deact and not remapping? many often boast this, do you know what bad effects this can have on ECU or engine?
Old 26 October 2005, 12:06 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

there is no need to remap with subtle mods like a decat or filter. The cars as standard are set up to run very rich (hence poor economy) so there is a safety margin built in as standard.
All that the remap does is allows you to take full advatnage of the mods that you have on the car.
I have a full decat with downpipe and induction kit, on my knocklink on maximum sensitivity it has only lit up the second green light 2 or 3 times, that was probably because I had to use cheap supermarket normal unleaded fuel. (jap import as well so more sensitive to fuel).
Old 26 October 2005, 02:06 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

As already explained above, you can do a full decat and more before a remap is necessary and it may make better financial sense to plan some other mods and then take advantage of the re-map.
Your ECU already has a degree of tolerance to account for varying conditions.
If you are going down the modifying route beyond the full exhaust system then consider a boost guage, AFR meter and Knock Link. Then you have a chance of knowing what is happening and saving yourself from an expensive engine rebuild.

BTW. The choice of exhaust and down pipe is important.
Old 26 October 2005, 06:33 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
As already explained above, you can do a full decat and more before a remap is necessary and it may make better financial sense to plan some other mods and then take advantage of the re-map.
Your ECU already has a degree of tolerance to account for varying conditions.
If you are going down the modifying route beyond the full exhaust system then consider a boost guage, AFR meter and Knock Link. Then you have a chance of knowing what is happening and saving yourself from an expensive engine rebuild.

BTW. The choice of exhaust and down pipe is important.
thanks for thwe info harvey, but, if i do not want a re-map can i run my car safely with a full decat? if the answer is yes, what precautions should i take? boost guage, AFR meter and Knock Link? are these essential.
Old 26 October 2005, 07:19 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
A: No, you just need to have the egt sensor disconnected

MY00 UK turbo doesn not have an EGT sensor....... just the lambda in the downpipe.....!!

Trending Topics

Old 26 October 2005, 09:25 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RON
MY00 UK turbo doesn not have an EGT sensor....... just the lambda in the downpipe.....!!
how interesting......

it is a my99 though if that makes a difference.....?
Old 26 October 2005, 11:17 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RON
i'm sure this is the same for me, s0o..... running a ful decat will be ok then? i'm begining to get a little dizzy now, i feel i'm opening up a can of worms, (just don't want to wreck my car, but want to have some fun with it).
'RON' do you run a full decat m8?
Old 27 October 2005, 09:53 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

running a full decat as said in previous replies will be fine, no need for a remap
Old 27 October 2005, 10:05 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

apac: As others have said and as I explained above, you can run a full decat with no need for a remap. You could do a full decat, ported headers and K+N panel filter, but anything after that and a re-map would be needed IMHO.
A quality cone filter would not be a problem but should not be done if you are not going to ensure cold air. Its benefits at modest power levels are questionable.
Avoid an APS cold air kit or similar where you have a 90 deg bend just before the MAF sensor as that will distort air flow to the sensor and a rescale and remap is necessary IMMEDIATELY.