Notices

Loudest exhaust reccomendations please?

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2005, 10:34 PM
OcTag3n
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Loudest exhaust reccomendations please?

Hello,

I've just bought my first Impreza today! A 1994 black WRX. First thing on my list is an exhaust. I want the loudest, meanest sounding exhaust on the market that really amplifies that boxer engine knock . This is why I bought an Impreza in the first place. I know I will be needing a decat to get the most out of it but was wondering what you guys have fitted to your cars? If you could provide any sound files for me to hear, well that would be great, but a good description of the sound your car makes would surfice. I'm thinking about a Blitz or HKS or maybe even a Scoobyworld Vortex. Thanks in advance,

Lee.
Old 07 October 2005, 11:12 PM
wrx bill
Scooby Regular

Location: erm erm erm well it does lots to the gallon but it aint a scoob doh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hay i to have a similar problem i want a ded loud zaust to fek off my niebours
Old 07 October 2005, 11:13 PM
Stiver3
Scooby Regular

Location: Braintree - 321BHP, 285Lbft-Perfect Standard' Ish STi Ver. III

Most of the japanese Backboxes are very loud, especially the likes of blitz etc...
Old 07 October 2005, 11:21 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

I'd go with something from H&S (makers of Afterburner Vortex). Quality is top notch and why pay a premium for an exhaust that's shipped in from overseas when you can get similar for less 'locally'. Just my opinion but have a look at the steel grades used to see what I mean in terms of getting value for money.
Old 07 October 2005, 11:24 PM
catmeat
Scooby Regular

I have a 4.5in h&s bk box,loud enough!
Old 08 October 2005, 08:10 AM
axgt_bwaii
Scooby Regular

you want a hks mushroom filter de cat down pipe and a single pipe from the downpipe to the end with no backbox . mine sounds like thunder.

stew
Old 08 October 2005, 09:14 AM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tonymontana
Hello,

I've just bought my first Impreza today! A 1994 black WRX. First thing on my list is an exhaust. I want the loudest, meanest sounding exhaust on the market that really amplifies that boxer engine knock . This is why I bought an Impreza in the first place. I know I will be needing a decat to get the most out of it but was wondering what you guys have fitted to your cars? If you could provide any sound files for me to hear, well that would be great, but a good description of the sound your car makes would surfice. I'm thinking about a Blitz or HKS or maybe even a Scoobyworld Vortex. Thanks in advance,

Lee.
If you send me your email address, i'll send you a video of my Blitz Nur Spec

Trending Topics

Old 08 October 2005, 10:05 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Another vote the H&S 4.5 angled exit! One hell of an exhaust, louder than my old blitz too!
Old 08 October 2005, 10:40 AM
BVM
Scooby Regular

TurboXS RFL (real f**king loud) and Helix are known to be pretty loud.
Old 08 October 2005, 10:43 AM
renno rannes
Scooby Regular

You want the 5zigen fire ball or the BPM Twister.

Renno
Old 08 October 2005, 11:12 AM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

Or find your nearest Powerflow dealer, tell them what you want and I can guarantee it'll be louder than anything you've ever heard in your life. On my old car I needed something short and fat to get the T3 spinning up nicely and ended up with a 3" bore side exit...I actually asked them to make it as quiet as possible - they used a pair of straight through silencers instead of a back box - and it still made 101 db, loud enough that they wouldn't let me on at the 'Ring. If you actually WANT something loud then I'm sure they can make it louder than that. Mine was loud enough so that it would set off other people's car alarms when you started it up, and coppers were always pulling me over. In hindsight, noisy exhausts are more hassle than they're worth, best kept for trackday cars.
Old 08 October 2005, 11:16 AM
OcTag3n
Scooby Regular

Wow! I've never even heard of some of these exhausts, so glad I asked before I just went out & bought any old exhaust. Thanks to all of you for your feedback. I forgot to include my email address in case anybody had any sound or video files they wouldn't mind sending me. It's mrlee@blueyonder.co.uk Thanks again, Lee
Old 08 October 2005, 01:53 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

I have 3inch HKS Hiper with no centre resonator for sale.. it is pretty damn loud..

Simon
Old 08 October 2005, 01:57 PM
dave44
Scooby Regular

you realise putting too big an exhaust on it can hinder the performance?
Old 08 October 2005, 02:11 PM
Stiver3
Scooby Regular

Location: Braintree - 321BHP, 285Lbft-Perfect Standard' Ish STi Ver. III

Isn't it to do with creating not enough back pressure or something?

I'm no techy so im probably wrong...
Old 08 October 2005, 02:13 PM
dave44
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stiver3
Isn't it to do with creating not enough back pressure or something?

I'm no techy so im probably wrong...
im not techie, but my old man told me that it isnt a good idea (he also drives a scooby)
he did alot of work on rally cars when he was younger so im pretty sure he's right....dunno the techie stuff tho im affraid
Old 08 October 2005, 05:24 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

turbos dont need as much back presure so the bore don't matter too much. you want loud then its bpm twister, much louder than the blitz or hks. 5zigen fire ball is supposed to be loud as is the buddy club one. i've a hks hyper which is quite loud, but nothing to a bpm.
Old 08 October 2005, 05:33 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dave44
im not techie, but my old man told me that it isnt a good idea (he also drives a scooby)
he did alot of work on rally cars when he was younger so im pretty sure he's right....dunno the techie stuff tho im affraid
Thats why rally cars have peas shooter exhausts, but loud as ****.

More boost makes your car louder, my old classic sounded louder after it was mapped, had more of a growl to it.
Old 08 October 2005, 06:50 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
Thats why rally cars have peas shooter exhausts, but loud as ****.

More boost makes your car louder, my old classic sounded louder after it was mapped, had more of a growl to it.
.... im very happy now with my setup, its one of the coolest sounds ive heard of any scooby, its wicked when u put the foot down, sounds like a ducati on steroids(or something like it i duno).. consists of equal length headers,turbo uppipe, downpipe, straight through centre and blitz nurspec rear section, could not ask for anymore man! wish i had a vid clip for you, that would be my opinion, hks hiper muffler is great too, havent heard vortex or h and s but are prob good too
Old 08 October 2005, 08:02 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dave44
you realise putting too big an exhaust on it can hinder the performance?
Hmmm, that's news to me. For normally-aspirated cars, there is definitely an optimum exhaust setup mainly because the exhaust is not just an outlet for gases, but also a way of scavenging the cylinders. If the manifold lengths and bores are joined and tuned just so, you can get much more efficient work out of the engine.

But on a turbocharged engine, available boost pressure primarily dictates how much power you can make, assuming everything else is in place to handle it. Boost pressure is a product of exhaust turbine speed. The less back pressure from the turbo onwards, the faster the turbine can accelerate the compressor wheel up to boost producing speeds. Overboost is controlled by the wastegate and also on a Scooby by other electronic means, but there is no reason why you would want to *slow down* the turbine response by retaining back pressure with a restrictive exhaust unless you had to!

With a turbocharged car, if you want to make power, all considerations of normal exhaust tuning go out of the window - your only mission is to get rid of as much 'back pressure' as possible, by widening and shortening the exhaust system as much as you can. The ideal would be no exhaust system whatsoever, with the turbine blowing straight out into the open.

In practice, road cars have regulations that have to be followed which limit exhaust size. Race cars also have to follow regulations which are in some ways stricter than for road cars, and in some ways looser. Noise regulations are a fairly commonplace part of motorsport and that would be the reason why rally cars don't run huge exhausts. Plus because they're restricted to certain power outputs anyway, huge pipes aren't necessary - and they carry a weight and cost penalty. Just off the top of my head, something like a 3" bore exhaust is only going to start to be a limitation once you're running 500bhp or more, I'd have to look that up though. But put that same exhaust on a NA car and you'll more than likely lose power in a pretty big way.

Stop me if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding! :-)
Old 08 October 2005, 09:09 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a side exit exhaust straight off the decat downpipe.
You'll be able to see the flames coming out at the same time
How cool is that!!
Old 08 October 2005, 09:45 PM
OcTag3n
Scooby Regular

From what I've read & more from what I've heard, I've just orderd a Blitz NUR Spec R. Thanks for all your advice & info, Good website with knowledgable people, so thanks again. Can't wait till it gets here & I can get it fitted!