Notices

MY00 4 Door with interior rattle!!

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2005, 02:57 PM
MY00PPP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY00 4 Door with interior rattle!!

Hi,

Have a MY00 that all of a sudden has developed a rattle that sounds like it is coming from within the passenger cabin either from under the dash or drivers door. Best way to describe it is like 2 peices of glass vibrating together. Only happens at slow speeds normally when slowing down (10 - 20 MPH). Have checked the door glass and seems ok and at a loss!!

I understand it could be a million and one things but thought someone else might have experienced similar and could give me a starting point before I begin taking stuff apart

Thanks in advance.

RM

Last edited by MY00PPP; 07 October 2005 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07 October 2005, 03:15 PM
leeps
Scooby Regular

have u checked for loose cables under the steering wheel?
Old 07 October 2005, 03:39 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Its the fact that you only have one rattle that I dont understand
Old 07 October 2005, 03:41 PM
MY00PPP
Scooby Regular

More the fact it has come out of nowhere so worried that it could be something major

Off to look under the steering wheel cables now.....
Old 07 October 2005, 05:38 PM
MY00PPP
Scooby Regular

FAO Leeps - checked out the wires undewr the steering wheel (another world up there or what!) and all seems in place with nothing close enough to vibrate against anything metal.

Anyone else with any ideas?

Cheers
Old 08 October 2005, 03:14 AM
Joth
Scooby Regular

I get a high pitched squeak and rattle from the 1 din pod added on top of the dash centre, its just plastic on plastic, but sounds like more than that. Took me a bit of silicone to quieten down.
Old 08 October 2005, 11:07 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MY00PPP
Hi,

Have a MY00 that all of a sudden has developed a rattle that sounds like it is coming from within the passenger cabin either from under the dash or drivers door. Best way to describe it is like 2 peices of glass vibrating together. Only happens at slow speeds normally when slowing down (10 - 20 MPH). Have checked the door glass and seems ok and at a loss!!

I understand it could be a million and one things but thought someone else might have experienced similar and could give me a starting point before I begin taking stuff apart

Thanks in advance.

RM
i know this is a bit daft, but have you got the window down when this noise occurs? only that with the frameless door the glass can rattle about a bit when it's in certain positions, (at least mine does) and that can make a hell of a racket.

other than that, have the door card off and see if anything is flapping around in there.

Trending Topics

Old 08 October 2005, 01:48 PM
MY00PPP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoskib
i know this is a bit daft, but have you got the window down when this noise occurs? only that with the frameless door the glass can rattle about a bit when it's in certain positions, (at least mine does) and that can make a hell of a racket.

other than that, have the door card off and see if anything is flapping around in there.
First thought was the window as it does sound glass related. So tried it up, down, half way, being held and all other ways but to no avail. Door card coming off next

Cheers
Old 08 October 2005, 07:54 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

i'd take door card off and glove box out at same time, then get a m8 to sit in seat and hold stuff! till you find what is causin the rattle.
Old 09 October 2005, 03:31 PM
MY00PPP
Scooby Regular

Fixed! - Took off the door card and if it was loose it got taped down!. Also, the 'rods' which connect the door handle to locking system/central locking looked a likely candidate. Pushed a small strip of card between the metal rod and the door skin as to hold it in place without hindering correct movement...

Hey presto no more rattle. Unsure what did it but glad to be fixed. Thanks for all suggestions.
Old 24 October 2005, 11:32 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MY00PPP
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

RM
During a recent ICE install, I located one of the rattles as coming from within the lock mechanism the two rods go into. It sounds like there are some plastic bits in there that can vibrate at certain frequencies. Wrapping it in deadmat and winding a strip of deadmat around the bars cured it.

NXG