Notices

What does adjusting an actuator rod really do?

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2005, 10:19 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What does adjusting an actuator rod really do?

I have a TD05 on my car and I used to think that shortening or lengthening the actuator rod adjusted the boost levels but I've been told that it doesn't

What does it really do?

Thanks
Old 05 October 2005, 03:08 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It adjusts the point at which the penny valve opens. A slack actuator may start to open at say .7 bar whereas a tight one could be 1.1 bar.
It will not increase maximum boost unless of course the penny valve is kept fully shut all the time. That same effect can be achieved by disconnecting the feed to the actuator. Remeber to blank the feed pipe.
Old 05 October 2005, 11:04 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

I have no idea what pressure mine opens at but my car doesn't produce a real amount of boost until 3,500 rpm How can you find out if it is correct?
Old 05 October 2005, 12:13 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But also, if by shortening the actuator arm you are preloading the actuator spring you will reduce the maximum angle to which the wastegate opens which may lead to higher boost at higher revs and possibly even boost creep.

Andrew...
Old 05 October 2005, 12:21 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by harvey
It adjusts the point at which the penny valve opens. A slack actuator may start to open at say .7 bar whereas a tight one could be 1.1 bar.
It will not increase maximum boost unless of course the penny valve is kept fully shut all the time. That same effect can be achieved by disconnecting the feed to the actuator. Remeber to blank the feed pipe.
Sorry to thread-hijack but I think thats what we used to do with GTIRs. We used to take some kind of feed pipe off the turbo and the car would just pull and pull. The OE boost gauge only went to about .7 and with this pipe off it would slam over to the right and get wedged!

Apparently, death would come swiftly to the engine so I only did it a couple of times.
Old 05 October 2005, 12:30 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

To set up the preload properly you need to know what pressure you are aiming for.
You need a hand pump with a guage and you can then adjust the BOV actuator to the correct "cracking" pressure.
A rough and ready way is to adjust the the actuator so that the hole on the turn buckle is a quarter overlap on the stud/pin it fits over on the actuator arm. You then pull the actuator arm out to fit over the pin and secure with circlip.

If somebody that knows how to post pictures e-mails me I will send photos of the setting guage and you can post them.
Old 05 October 2005, 12:37 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

To set up the preload properly you need to know what pressure you are aiming for.
You need a hand pump with a guage and you can then adjust the BOV actuator to the correct "cracking" pressure.
A rough and ready way is to adjust the the actuator so that the hole on the turn buckle is a quarter overlap on the stud/pin it fits over on the actuator arm. You then pull the actuator arm out to fit over the pin and secure with circlip.

If somebody that knows how to post pictures e-mails me I will send photos of the setting guage and you can post them.
I should be able them Harvey I'll drop you an email now.

Trending Topics

Old 05 October 2005, 12:38 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

No email address specified Harvey
Old 05 October 2005, 12:42 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Apparently my car is mapped for the wastegate opening at 9psi. This is what boost the wastegate should open on a TD05 according to the guy who maps the chips.
Old 05 October 2005, 12:49 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

harveysmith1@btopenworld.com
Old 05 October 2005, 01:37 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Email sent You can remove your address now

Thanks
Old 05 October 2005, 09:39 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Are you going to put these up Paul?
Old 05 October 2005, 11:34 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Paul...waiting for the pics too....my TD05 the boost seems to come in near 3500rpm also...
Old 06 October 2005, 08:16 AM
paul_davies
Scooby Regular

Paul,

if you link the small pipe on the turbo outlet to the actuator it will run at "cracking" pressure.....Oh, and block the other pipe going to the boost control solenoid
Old 06 October 2005, 09:41 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

I am pissed off trying to help people and sending them photos that they say they will post and then they do not.
Send me an e-mail Sam and I will send them to you.
Old 06 October 2005, 09:50 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Harvey...

smartguy1@gmail.com

Will post them up....

Thanks
Sam
Old 07 October 2005, 02:39 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Sam : You have the photos and previos mail to..............................................
3500rpm, what gear.
The way to measure spool is 4th gear or as close to 1.0 as you can get with these 6 speed boxes or even low RA boxes. 1500/1700 rpm, turbo hot, foot flat on the floor, where do you get 1 bar.
Old 07 October 2005, 09:20 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up Pics added

Pisc that were sent to me by Harvey:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...r/DSCF0371.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...r/DSCF0366.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...r/DSCF0369.jpg

The kit cost over £40 from Dartford Karting. If it is just for your own car then find someone local that can set it up fot you. Only a 15 min job max.
Regards,
Harvey.
Old 07 October 2005, 11:23 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

TD05-06 20G. Set around 1.15 bar for a particular appliction. 1 bar@ 3300/3400 rpm in 4th and 400bhp + on standard engine when required. Budget project.
Old 07 October 2005, 12:33 PM
Xtrac
Scooby Newbie

Is that a Mitsubishi logo on the turbo housing? in the last pic?

-Roy
Old 07 October 2005, 01:44 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Xtrac

-Roy
IIRC mitsi manufacture the IHI turbos. Not certain tho.
Old 07 October 2005, 02:31 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xtrac

-Roy
Yes, i believe the TD range are made by Mitsi.

Rob
Old 07 October 2005, 05:56 PM
SoNiCa
Scooby Regular

So if I aim for 1.2 target boost what pressure should I set the TD04L actuator arm? I'm experiencing some problems increasing the boost above 1 bar. It never reaches or is not effective.
Old 07 October 2005, 11:27 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Are you going to put these up Paul?
Sorry for the delay I've been busy Ten minutes and they'll be up
Old 07 October 2005, 11:54 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Old 07 October 2005, 11:59 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

I am pissed off trying to help people and sending them photos that they say they will post and then they do not.
Send me an e-mail Sam and I will send them to you.
I am so sorry Harvey. I then became snowed under at work. I posted them as soon as I could tonight but I now realise that they were posted by Sam. I did reply to your email today though.
Old 08 October 2005, 12:29 AM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

I could be wrong but I think you are all missing something here. The actuator does indeed open the penny valve at a certain pressure, and I think it is normally about 0.7bar on TD05s.

The thing that really controls the boost though is the solenoid which controls how much of the pressure in the manifold is released into the actuator. The solenoid opens and closes rapidly, letting some air through into the actuator. If it opens for long periods and closes for short periods then most air will get through meaning that the actuator will open early and low boost is reached. If the solenoid opens for short periods and is closed for long periods then not much air gets through and the boost in the mainifold can get much higher before the actuator opens the penny valve. This frequency of opening and closing is what duty-cycles are.

A dawes valve basically does the same thing, it does not let air through until your desired target (of perhaps 1 bar) is reached and when it is the enough air can get through to equal 0.7bar in the actuator opening the penny valve.
Old 08 October 2005, 05:19 AM
tath
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Roojai
I could be wrong but I think you are all missing something here. The actuator does indeed open the penny valve at a certain pressure, and I think it is normally about 0.7bar on TD05s.

The thing that really controls the boost though is the solenoid which controls how much of the pressure in the manifold is released into the actuator. The solenoid opens and closes rapidly, letting some air through into the actuator. If it opens for long periods and closes for short periods then most air will get through meaning that the actuator will open early and low boost is reached. If the solenoid opens for short periods and is closed for long periods then not much air gets through and the boost in the mainifold can get much higher before the actuator opens the penny valve. This frequency of opening and closing is what duty-cycles are.

A dawes valve basically does the same thing, it does not let air through until your desired target (of perhaps 1 bar) is reached and when it is the enough air can get through to equal 0.7bar in the actuator opening the penny valve.
exactly right - why the fuss???
Old 11 October 2005, 05:02 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

When fitting an aftermarket ECU/electronic boost controller or non standard turbo eg TD05-06 it is necessary to get the blow off valve cracking pressure in the right ball park for your chosen application.
Old 11 October 2005, 05:22 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

SoNiCa: Jacking the actuator shut on the adjuster screw will not help you if you have a standard ECU because the boost is still being controlled to a relatively low setting. It could result in major problems.
Also remember you will have a fuel cut at some point around 1.05 bar upwards depending on what model you have.
You could increase the boost cheaply with a GBE bleed valve or similar. Alternatively you could use an electronic boost controller.
The efficiency of the TD04L will deteriorate rapidly as the boost increases. I am not sure where this would be but a sensible limit might be somewhere between 1.1 and 1.25 bar.
Also remember that if you increase the boost then you are weakening your AFR so you need to see how much it is weakened, if it is still safe and if not you need to get more fuel in or you will nip a piston in the bore etc. Dodgy ground if you do not know what you are doing and can check for AFR and DET.

Quick Reply: What does adjusting an actuator rod really do?