Notices

Upgraded Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2005, 01:17 PM
Dr Who
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Upgraded Turbo

Hi, I would be interested to find out what alternative turbo's people are running on a UK spec car with standard internals and any pos/neg points, any feedback would be apprieciated
Old 04 October 2005, 01:26 PM
KK3960
Scooby Regular

Hi there

If you get the back issues of scoobybag they have been running articles on Turbo's for the WRX. The most popular upgrade up to and around 400HP for the WRX or STI is the TD 05/06 20G which with corresponding components such as bigger injectors and FMIC give good gains. Look at Andy Forrests web site for further info andyforrestperformance.co.uk in my opinion he is the top UK MAN for ECU and turbo upgrades for the Impreza.
Old 04 October 2005, 02:56 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Dr Who
Hi, I would be interested to find out what alternative turbo's people are running on a UK spec car with standard internals and any pos/neg points, any feedback would be apprieciated
Are we talking std UK Turbo/WRX/Sti?

As above TD05 is a popular choice, VF series from the Stis also very good. Depends how much power you want and how much lag you're prepared to put up with. Adny F recommends that you use the smallest turbo capable of meeting your power requirements on his website IIRC. He sells a modified TD04, which retains the very fast spool up of the std uk TD04, but can produce higher power levels. He's had about 330bhp out of it and a similar figure for torque IIRC.

Its not just the engine internals you have to watch out for though, it's also the transmission if we're talking about a UK WRX/Turbo. I guess it depends on your driving style, but I wonder how long the std UK clutch and gearbox would last above 300bhp/lbs ft?

NS04
Old 04 October 2005, 03:20 PM
stantd04
Scooby Regular

I've got one of Andy's TD04 hybrids; going onto a UK '99 car soon along with resonated centre to shut the car up a bit (wife caught me overtaking a few cars a while ago on her way home and has been hassling me about the noise ever since).

I'd be very happy if I get similar results to the Project WRX car in Scooby mag, though I'd have to get the headers ported and the car properly remapped first.

I don't want to have to put up with the car being less responsive; hence my calculated choice of TD04.
Old 04 October 2005, 03:36 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by stantd04
I've got one of Andy's TD04 hybrids; going onto a UK '99 car soon along with resonated centre to shut the car up a bit (wife caught me overtaking a few cars a while ago on her way home and has been hassling me about the noise ever since).

I'd be very happy if I get similar results to the Project WRX car in Scooby mag, though I'd have to get the headers ported and the car properly remapped first.

I don't want to have to put up with the car being less responsive; hence my calculated choice of TD04.
I'd be interested to know how you get on mate! I'm considering this for my MY99 as part of an upgrade project....more on this soon.

BTW Have you changed the downpipe to a Decat too?

NS04
Old 04 October 2005, 06:08 PM
stantd04
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
BTW Have you changed the downpipe to a Decat too?

NS04
Yes, full exhaust system, Power Engineering twin backbox; uprated fuel pump, Ecutek off the shelf map (by Pat H).

I wanted Maxim headers too or similar 4-2-1, but that was too costly and I didn't want to sacrifice response using other 4-1 large bore headers like Gruppe S, etc.

I may consider a slightly lightened flywheel later when the clutch goes, or gearbox, whichever first.
Old 06 October 2005, 01:50 PM
KK3960
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yes the DECAT makes a huge difference and shows an immediate power gain!!Im running currently at 283 BHP on my 03 WRX with a full decat, ported Harvey Smith standard headers, uprated fuel pump & spark plugs and a panel filter. Basic budget bolt-on mods with nearly 60 hp gains on the standard car and with the standard engine map! Not bad considering just a few basic mods. With a remap I should be easily up to the 300HP mark. The HP run was confirmed at Well Lane Turbo centre a couple of months ago on a scoobynet RR day!

TD05/06 20G is next step with upto 400HP available with more corresponding mods!!

Trending Topics

Old 06 October 2005, 02:37 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by KK3960
Yes the DECAT makes a huge difference and shows an immediate power gain!!Im running currently at 283 BHP on my 03 WRX with a full decat, ported Harvey Smith standard headers, uprated fuel pump & spark plugs and a panel filter. Basic budget bolt-on mods with nearly 60 hp gains on the standard car and with the standard engine map! Not bad considering just a few basic mods. With a remap I should be easily up to the 300HP mark. The HP run was confirmed at Well Lane Turbo centre a couple of months ago on a scoobynet RR day!

TD05/06 20G is next step with upto 400HP available with more corresponding mods!!
The RR makes a big difference also
Old 06 October 2005, 06:37 PM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm currently running an MD304 on my 99UK turbo, and a very nice turbo it is too with a nice smooth response.
Got 322bhp on powerstations rollers with a hole in the uppipe!
I believe chrome had one for sale not so long ago as well.