Notices

Going round in circles please help

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2005, 01:17 AM
mcvicar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Going round in circles. Help needed!

Hello all,

Any advice would be greatful.
I have a 95 standard import wrx Auto. Bottom end went ( hole in piston ) oil everywhere including exhaust, inlet manifold and airbox. Plan was to rebuild the bottom end but as things go time was moving on and it was'nt getting done. Sad to see the car sitting there so put a bottom end in out of a legacy, did a ecu reset drove the car for a while and all was fine.

Now running very poor, tickover fluctuating between 500-1200 rpm especially when cold but only intermitent. Power loss also intermittent. Running on three pots also intermittent. And now to top it all, when accelerating hard it judders badly as if you were turning a electric switch on and off its that quick but also intermittent. The power light for the auto box flashes when you first start up and didn't before and even more strange if the power button is switched off when driving put your foot down and the dash power light comes on (weird)

Took it to Subaru dealers, Cheam Motors for them to do a ecu fault code check and they found nothing. This was about two weeks ago.

Check light came on today so carried out a test and these were the results.
CODE:
23 MAF
24 Air control valve
33 Vehicle speed sensor
45 Pressure sensor-Pressure exchange solinoid
51 Inhibitor switch-neutral switch
52 Parking brake switch

It it possible that all these could go at the same time?

From my knowledge of an inhibitor switch (auto) this stops your from stating the car in gear. This is working fine.
Speed sensor poss because speedo cable has broke.
I may be wrong but would the MAF cause this juddering under hard acceleration or could it be the inhibitor/neutral switch breaking down and knocking it in and out of gear.

I am quite new to Subaru's and mechanically but not electrically minded.
Your help would be much appreciated.

Sorry this post is long winded but I need the help.

Cheers
Del

Last edited by mcvicar; 23 September 2005 at 01:27 AM.
Old 23 September 2005, 02:12 AM
type36lotus
Scooby Regular

Check that all engine ground cables/wires are secure. Just a SWAG on my part. But when strange electrical things happen I check for bad grounds. This learned from owning a couple of Lotuses.

Mike
Old 23 September 2005, 08:25 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

first thing first, fix what you know is broke, ecu reset and try from there. Sometimes you can have one fault which may trigger a chain reaction on the diagnostics by saying other things arent working. Fix the cable as this will cause the cel to illuminate.
Old 23 September 2005, 08:27 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

just to add to that, I think if the speed cable is broke then the car goes into limp mode. May be wrong on this but sure I have read that somewhere.
Your poor tickover could be the maf, with the car idling, disconnect the maf and if it continues to run then the chances are it is fubarred.
Old 23 September 2005, 08:50 AM
philrob2000
Scooby Regular

Default Juddering

A dodgy coilpack could also cause most of these problems and seems quite common on these cars. Also causes various ECU error messages. Worth a look M8. Good luck.

Originally Posted by mcvicar
Hello all,

Any advice would be greatful.
I have a 95 standard import wrx Auto. Bottom end went ( hole in piston ) oil everywhere including exhaust, inlet manifold and airbox. Plan was to rebuild the bottom end but as things go time was moving on and it was'nt getting done. Sad to see the car sitting there so put a bottom end in out of a legacy, did a ecu reset drove the car for a while and all was fine.

Now running very poor, tickover fluctuating between 500-1200 rpm especially when cold but only intermitent. Power loss also intermittent. Running on three pots also intermittent. And now to top it all, when accelerating hard it judders badly as if you were turning a electric switch on and off its that quick but also intermittent. The power light for the auto box flashes when you first start up and didn't before and even more strange if the power button is switched off when driving put your foot down and the dash power light comes on (weird)

Took it to Subaru dealers, Cheam Motors for them to do a ecu fault code check and they found nothing. This was about two weeks ago.

Check light came on today so carried out a test and these were the results.
CODE:
23 MAF
24 Air control valve
33 Vehicle speed sensor
45 Pressure sensor-Pressure exchange solinoid
51 Inhibitor switch-neutral switch
52 Parking brake switch

It it possible that all these could go at the same time?

From my knowledge of an inhibitor switch (auto) this stops your from stating the car in gear. This is working fine.
Speed sensor poss because speedo cable has broke.
I may be wrong but would the MAF cause this juddering under hard acceleration or could it be the inhibitor/neutral switch breaking down and knocking it in and out of gear.

I am quite new to Subaru's and mechanically but not electrically minded.
Your help would be much appreciated.

Sorry this post is long winded but I need the help.

Cheers
Del
Old 23 September 2005, 08:59 AM
mcvicar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
just to add to that, I think if the speed cable is broke then the car goes into limp mode. May be wrong on this but sure I have read that somewhere.
Your poor tickover could be the maf, with the car idling, disconnect the maf and if it continues to run then the chances are it is fubarred.
Have tried disconnecting the maf when running but it does cut out. However if you start it when its disconnected it does run?
Old 23 September 2005, 09:00 AM
mcvicar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by philrob2000
A dodgy coilpack could also cause most of these problems and seems quite common on these cars. Also causes various ECU error messages. Worth a look M8. Good luck.
Yeh will check it out.
Thanks
Old 23 September 2005, 09:02 AM
mcvicar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by type36lotus
Check that all engine ground cables/wires are secure. Just a SWAG on my part. But when strange electrical things happen I check for bad grounds. This learned from owning a couple of Lotuses.

Mike
Yeh have tried that, thought one might of got missed with engine change but all were ok.
Thanks for your reply.
Del
Old 24 September 2005, 12:59 PM
mcvicar
Scooby Regular

anyone