Notices

STI 8 intercooler into P1 ? Benefits?

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2005, 06:04 PM
cts5555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI 8 intercooler into P1 ? Benefits?

Is there any benefit in fitting a STI8 IC into my P1 ?? will it fit direct or need a bit of work?

What to pay ?

thanks
Old 12 September 2005, 07:01 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cts5555
Is there any benefit in fitting a STI8 IC into my P1 ?? will it fit direct or need a bit of work?

What to pay ?

thanks
well it will be very good only if u really plan on carryin out fairly extensive mods, if you looking to raise boost levels especially, what setup u got?ur standard i/c should be good for 320bhp
Old 12 September 2005, 09:19 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes it is worth it, especially if you want a bigger turbo. It's not a direct fit and will take some effort (instr on my project thread). Cost up to £300 with DV. Should be good up to 350BHP and beyond. Great on track in high temps.

F
Old 12 September 2005, 11:01 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have just put one on My Type R, without much modification. The Intercooler is good for at least 400bhp. even without a remap the car is pulling harder in the mid range.

Last edited by Power Junkie; 13 September 2005 at 12:00 PM. Reason: not clear ;)
Old 12 September 2005, 11:03 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

have you measured the temp rise at 400 bhp??

MB
Old 13 September 2005, 12:01 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

as long as you mod the under-tray to get the air through the IC all the temps are ok.
Old 13 September 2005, 01:02 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

i have my doubts on a modded one.

ive done exactly this (V8 IC on a P1) with the V8 scoop and a custom undertray and splitter similiar to floyds.

car is running maybe 370-380 bhp at 1.45 bar with a garett GT35 hybrid. if i do a WOT run from 2nd through the gears into 6th, with initial charge temp just above ambient, im up at 50 deg with a slight crackle (as bob says ) of det at the end of it.

soon as im off the throttle, the temp drops really quick though, and you are back to just above ambient within a few hundred yards.

i may be able to improve the splitter arrangement a little, but i wish now i had put an FMIC on in the first place. by the time you have your IC, dump valve, custom hose and fannied around fitting it and sorting out the brackets and undertray you are in for 300 quid plus.

on a standard one, its a good mod.
Old 13 September 2005, 02:08 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

That’s interesting about the temps Mark. I’ve not seen 50C yet or had problems with sparkles at the top end so perhaps they are good up to 350BHP with 1.2bar??? I don’t know what other mods you have done though so maybe it’s not all inlet temp related? I used to see 70C on the original TMIC and the knocklink was quiet. I am surprised that the STi7/8 TMIC is coping with 1.45bar as some have split before this pressure.

If you go FMIC Mark I’d like to know what difference you get in the lag dept. especially if you change nothing else. That would be a real test.

F
Old 13 September 2005, 02:30 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Floyd
That’s interesting about the temps Mark. I’ve not seen 50C yet or had problems with sparkles at the top end so perhaps they are good up to 350BHP with 1.2bar??? I don’t know what other mods you have done though so maybe it’s not all inlet temp related? I used to see 70C on the original TMIC and the knocklink was quiet. I am surprised that the STi7/8 TMIC is coping with 1.45bar as some have split before this pressure.

If you go FMIC Mark I’d like to know what difference you get in the lag dept. especially if you change nothing else. That would be a real test.

F
floyd, what is interesting is that bob mapped both yours and mine cars. he did say that my temps rise quicker than he would have expected. by this i assume he meant compared to yours and others he has mapped with an 8 IC. i only got a red light at +50 deg at the end of a run. he did say he could map it out with a bit less advance but i took the option to leave it as is and have another look at the airflow myself.

the other thing is im not sure about my bhp yet. the turbo is marketed as a 370bhp jobbie at the boost im running, but i have a funny suspicion im a lot closer to 400.
also i have a ugly great carbunkel of a scoop on. and you are still on o.e

the car has all the fuel and ignition it needs at the top. what i did find interesting is you hammered yours around the ring and it maxed out at 40 deg. i would be well over that (dangerously so).

gonna do a bit more experimenting with the splitter and sealing arrangement to see the difference (how good is a charge temp monitor for this kind of stuff, best safety mod ever for the cost). but if i had to bet i would say i will be going FMIC sooner or later.

all the rest of the supporting mods are there, im not really doing anything thats not tried and tested. i have seen you comment on your project thread about how quick the temp drops off boost, and mines the same, so i can only assume my turbo is producing a lot more heat than yours. maybe a techie type could give us how much heat they would expect the difference to be between our cars.

we will see. work in progress at the minute. will let you know what happens if i put a FMIC on, as there is not likely to be any further engine mods.
Old 13 September 2005, 02:37 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

by the way cts5555,

if you fancy doing this, as well as floyds excellent thread on here, i have a thread on p1woc in the project section with loads of pics and info including this conversion. i post on there as markymark.

dont let anyone tell you its a straightforward job either. its a pain in the a$$
Old 13 September 2005, 08:00 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Mark, I'll check out your thread on P1woc not seen that yet.

I'm using a bigger scoop similar to Andy F's (the same) but not the STi8 type. My sealing went down the tubes though as it came unstuck at 140mph and disapeared down the back of the engine. This didn't seem to have that much of an adverse effect on temps, which I was pleased about although the front and sides stayed in place.

If you have completed all the usual heat managment mods then the TMIC has to go or get a bigger turbo that's not working so hard (=more lag).

F
Old 14 September 2005, 09:48 AM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Floyd
If you have completed all the usual heat managment mods then the TMIC has to go or get a bigger turbo that's not working so hard (=more lag).

F
i agree. turbos staying. gonna do a bit of experimenting first but FMIC is deffo on the cards next spring.
Old 15 September 2005, 07:57 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Mark, I'm upto page 15 respect due You've gone way further than me and I suspect it's nearer 400BHP than 370BHP. I was going to port some of the entry into the inlet ports but I ran out of time Not sure I'm ready for the level of build that you have experienced!

I enjoyed seeing the level of detail that you went to. Some people whack on the go faster bits but don't make the most of all the existing bits, so it's not as efficient as it could be. Get the flow right on the whole system and everything will work effortlessly.

I'll keep reading...

F
Old 15 September 2005, 09:14 AM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

cheers floyd . if you are reading the whole lot you are sadder than me

i have spent many happy hours reading yours, but im lost now your on the suspension.

i would have done a lot more on the whole inlet sytem, sorting out all the bends, ridges, ends of pipes, butterfly,wastegate etc but in the end i just wanted to get it back on the road asap. it is worth it but its a lot of time and all said and done its a road car. in the end just did the head and the inlet manifold.

maybe the next time it blows up eh

(cant believe i said that)
Old 15 September 2005, 01:10 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Page 22 and I hear you re the TMIC - what a bitch to fit and get right I wanted to get a factory fit look to but I just ran out of time. So many things to tidy and I'd of loved to plate all the nasty bits and bobs. They do get dirty quickly though I'm still pondering how to make a decent heat shield for the clutch res and the air box. Mines a bit rough at the moment as it was just an experiment but it worked really well so it's hard to rip it out and re do...

I'm just starting the undertray proper fix as the rubber seal wasn't ever meant to be permanent.

F
Old 15 September 2005, 01:35 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

cool floyd,

if you have any thoughts on the airflow set up (if you are at that bit yet )
or anything else for that matter please stick em on the end, on here, or via pm. it would be much appreciated.

actually think we have mullered this thread enough now. appologies cts5555
Old 15 September 2005, 04:30 PM
cts5555
Scooby Regular

No probs guys, thanks for the replies, think ill give the TMIC a miss for now, maybe look again after xmas.