Notices

Turbo wastegate control restrictors?????

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2005, 03:50 PM
paul_davies
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turbo wastegate control restrictors?????

I have just replaced my TD04 with a TD05 on my MY99 UK but it only seems to be running 0.7bar
After a bit of searching I have found that some people say that I need a restrictor in the vacuum hose, is this true and if so what size restrictor and in which part of the hose;

Turbo outlet to tee piece?
Waste gate to tee piece?
Boost solenoid to tee piece?

Thanks
Paul.
Old 31 August 2005, 04:35 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbo outlet to T-piece. 1.2mm is factory on the TD04 on MY99 UK.
However, I wouldn't go over 0.7 bar until you have it mapped for the bigger turbo unless you are monitoring knock and wideband AFR. This being the case, the OEM ECU's early midrange dip in maximum duty cycle will impair the TD05's later spool up.
Old 31 August 2005, 04:49 PM
paul_davies
Scooby Regular

Yes I am monitoring both knock and wideband (or at least I will be when setting the new boost level) But is a re map the only way to go? can I not fit a different size (smaller I presume?) restrictor?
With regard to the duty cycle, I assume you are reffering to the boost control solenoid, would this be removed with the use of a electronic boost controller or even something as crude as a dawes device?
Old 31 August 2005, 05:04 PM
morpheous
Scooby Regular

Yes it would be bypassed if using an electronic controller as they have there own solenoid,and no need for restrictor but you need to leave the oem connected electrically...Then you have to look at fuel cut !

Originally Posted by paul_davies
Yes I am monitoring both knock and wideband (or at least I will be when setting the new boost level) But is a re map the only way to go? can I not fit a different size (smaller I presume?) restrictor?
With regard to the duty cycle, I assume you are reffering to the boost control solenoid, would this be removed with the use of a electronic boost controller or even something as crude as a dawes device?
Old 31 August 2005, 07:56 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could set it with a restrictor but you'd be better using a Dawes because the duty map on your ECU drops sharply from 2500 to 2800 RPM limiting your spool up. Needs to be later to get the most out of a TD05. Additionally, the boost level requested is too low to make the most out of a TD05, both midrange and top end.

The ignition map is a bit advanced, especially at the top end to make the most of a TD05 without lots of octane booster. You can use Delta Dash to retard the timing a bit, but it gets reset on battery disconnects or ECU resets.

The fuel map is sensible enough, you can trim it with the fuel pressure a bit, need an uprated pump to check it doesn't drop at the top. At standard fuel pressure you may max the 440cc injectors out as well.

So I would use a Dawes, fuel cut defender and lots of octane booster. However, a remap will allow you to get the most out of it. TD05 with manifold, exhaust and good intercooling will typically manage +120 BHP up on standard power.
Old 01 September 2005, 08:40 AM
paul_davies
Scooby Regular

Thanks John