Crunching 1st gear on MY01 WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2005, 04:12 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crunching 1st gear on MY01 WRX?

New car, new problems.....

Collected the new car today, a MY01 WRX and when engaging first gear, more often than not the gears crunch like hell......

This even happens when stationary, with the handbrake engaged and engine speed is 7-800rpm.

Its almost as if the clutch pedal isn't completely depressed....
It's most annoying epecially in slow moving traffic when you need to come to a complete stop before engaging first when you would normally slip the car into first while rolling at 1-2mph.

Anyone experienced this problem, or got any suggestions?
Old 02 September 2005, 12:24 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

No suggestions? I'm shocked!
Old 02 September 2005, 01:57 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Certainly sounds like the clutch is not disengaging completly, or worse still, the synchro has gone on 1st
When stationary select 2nd, this will stop any rotation in the gearbox, push straight through into 1st quickly - there should be no crunch as the layshaft has not had time to start to spin. Try the procedure again but this time linger in neutral for a second or two before engaging 1st. If it crunches it means that the shaft has started to spin while you were in neutral and must be receiving some power from the idling engine via the clutch. This will tell you that the clutch is not fully disengaging.
Check that the clutch pedal has not got too much free play.
Check that there are no leaks in the master cyl and slave cyl
Bleed the clutch hyraulics.

JohnD
Old 02 September 2005, 03:09 PM
shew
Scooby Newbie

Get the gearbox oil replaced.

On the subaru 5 speed gearbox it is a common problem that you can't select first easily at speeds above 8-10mph without the gearbox crunching and it gets worse the more the gearbox is used. I have never heard it as bad as yours (down to 1-2mph) but it is possible if the gearbox has been used hard. A good gearbox oil can help this, but won't fix the problem. This problem was fixed with the Sti 6 speed gearbox.

Also check what john d said, as the clutch not disengaging when you are stationary would explain the stationary crunching.

Last edited by shew; 02 September 2005 at 03:14 PM.
Old 16 September 2005, 11:27 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
Certainly sounds like the clutch is not disengaging completly, or worse still, the synchro has gone on 1st
When stationary select 2nd, this will stop any rotation in the gearbox, push straight through into 1st quickly - there should be no crunch as the layshaft has not had time to start to spin. Try the procedure again but this time linger in neutral for a second or two before engaging 1st. If it crunches it means that the shaft has started to spin while you were in neutral and must be receiving some power from the idling engine via the clutch. This will tell you that the clutch is not fully disengaging.
Check that the clutch pedal has not got too much free play.
Check that there are no leaks in the master cyl and slave cyl
Bleed the clutch hyraulics.

JohnD
John

Your test proved positive...... When selecting second immediately before slipping it into first, not only is the cruch gone, but there is distinctly less resistance.

I'll need to get someone less hamfisted than me to investigate further....

Cheers though
Old 17 September 2005, 07:43 AM
fallwood
Scooby Regular

Have the same problem on mine, not as bad as what yours sounds but I do have to feel for 1st when changing down from second . Was told its a common problem and nothing to worry about (apart from when I come to sell it).