Notices

Wrapping the exhaust downpipe - problem

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2005, 02:02 PM
beensoldaduffscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrapping the exhaust downpipe - problem

I have searched for similar problems but not found any documentation if the problem exists.

I have just bought some exhaust wrap from PP intending to wrap the downpipe before I put it back on. PP advised that I should NOT wrap the downpipe close to the turbo - they said to leave about 6 inches next to the turbo.
Now this is the part of the downpipe that I most want to wrap as it is the hottest and nearest to the intercooler. They said the wrap gets too hot and just falss apart.
I can not find any references to wrap falling apart on here and I am sure many people must have wrapped the downpipe close to the turbo.

Does anybody have experience of wrap falling apart if used too close to the turbo?

Any advice welcomed.

Steve.
Old 19 August 2005, 03:59 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

i bought it up to the lambda boss and no problems. some people have actually wrapped the turbo itself so i should not imagine it causes much problem.

Old 19 August 2005, 07:59 PM
Pedroskate
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Mines fine

Steve
I ignored the same advice and wrapped my decat downpipe right up to the flange where it joins the turbo. My reasons for doing this were twofold: with no heatshields I was concerned the extreme radiated heat could damage the brake master cylinder and pipes; and secondly, this heat tape is so good that you can induce thermal stress to the pipe where it ends and cause it to crack.
I happened to look at it earlier today and after a year of daily use, it looks as good as the day I fitted it. Also the master cylinder heat shield was cold to the touch after a long run, and I could almost keep my hand on the exhaust wrap immediately behind the turbo.
Hope this helps
Pete
Old 22 August 2005, 08:53 PM
beensoldaduffscooby
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice.

I think I will give it a go, wrap all the way and just keep my eye on it.

Thanks

Steve
Old 22 August 2005, 09:24 PM
Kenny.S
Scooby Regular

Just did my downpipe at the weekend. Went a little overkill though and used 50ft of the stuff!! I got it from a place that was suggested on here "agriemach" i think. Worked out at 40 odd quid including some high temp paint when you mentioned SN.

I started at the end of end of the downpipe and worked up towards the turbo end where i actually overlapped it a little so the top 8 inches or so are well wrapped up. Dont know how much your supposed to wet it but i found that the wetter it was the better, didn't soak it but i sprayed it with the garden hose set on a really fine mist. It nits together far better and turns much easier.
I then helped it dry off with a heat gun blowing through the pipe before painting it.
The first twenty mins or so after putting it on i got some strange looks from people with acrid blue smoke poring out through the vents . Seems to have settled down now but when it goes to get mapped im sure there will be some more!

Kenny