Notices

What should i expect??

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2005, 11:42 PM
vwrx
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should i expect??

Hi all, I'm new to the subaru world so be gentle!!

I have a 78 Karmann Beetle that i've recently fitted a EJ20 version 5 engine in to, other than being plagued with problems with leaking chargecoolers and the like, i have a few questions i would like answers to.

1/ if i'm not running the speed sensor wiring, what would be the long and short term problems (other than the MIL lamp being on)??

2/ how do i look up part numbers (as i don't have a chassis number)? subaru are useless and won't help at all / can't be arsed.

3/ why is there a little metal restrictor in the waste-gate vac hose?

all thoughts would be good (not the ****-taking type!) as i'm losing the faith and summers running out.

thanks, Steve.
Old 21 August 2005, 08:56 PM
vwrx
Scooby Newbie

It would seem you lot are as helpful as the Subaru main dealers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give me a break and dare to be different!!!!
Old 21 August 2005, 09:55 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havent got a clue sorry m8, but all the best to ya, its v nice to see people doing something different.

could be worth asking on here, www.turbocrime.co.uk
Old 22 August 2005, 04:22 PM
powercrazed
Scooby Regular

Cant help with no1 but if you know what year car the engine came from then
http://www.rogerclarkmotorsport.co.uk would be a good bet as I think they can access the subaru parts catalogue. As for the metal restrictor, this helps keep boost levels to a sensible level. If im wrong, im sure someone will put you right.
Nathan
Old 22 August 2005, 05:07 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

1. You may find that the revs are limited to about 3000 RPM and/or half throttle if it is like my MY00 UK car.

2. You can obtain a Subaru parts CD download from somewhere...
Do you know the engine code? eg EJ20G, EJ207, EJ205 etc? SIDC FAQ has chassis number look ups if you know the donor car's chassis number. Photos of the engine would help identify things.

3. The boost control uses a duty cycle controlled 2 port solenoid that bleeds air from the 0.5 bar actuator that is fitted. I would not be able to bleed enough off if this restrictor wasn't in place. Changing this restrictor (depending on model year) can influence peak boost levels, or achievement of target boost in lower gears in particular.
Old 23 August 2005, 12:04 AM
vwrx
Scooby Newbie

Thanks all for your suggestions.

John,
i was told when i got the engine that it was a version 5 from a european spec 1999 GT model car that was a salvage/write off import from Belgium. I was also told rightly or wrongly that they remove all chassis numbers before export so it can't go back on the road, so i have no reference numbers other than engine which isn't good enough for the main dealers to help me. (i can send you a picture of the engine in it's latest form/modified for my car if it would help confirm exactly what it is).

As for the limited power from no speed sensor wiring... I've done a few short test runs down the road and it is stupidly quick (won't be driving it much in the rain!!!), i haven't yet got it properly on the road and i've already blown a Pace top mount chargecooler and broken my Porsche 911 5-speed gearbox!!! Needless to say i'm having a few teething problems.

Thanks again for the help. Steve.
Old 23 August 2005, 09:38 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Post a picture of the engine. From the colour of the inlet manifold, the ignitor module etc we could tell you if it is a Euro spec 99/00 I think.
Old 23 August 2005, 11:18 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Has it got the standard turbo on it, and what boost are you running? Strange to break the Porsche box if you mean failure was power related.

Richard
Old 24 August 2005, 10:21 PM
vwrx
Scooby Newbie

John,
could you PM me your e-mail address as the link in your public file doesn't seem to work.
thanks, Steve.