Notices

reliabiltity issues??

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2005, 07:09 PM
craigmk2crx
Scooby Regular

Location: nice quiet village just outside Huddersfield surrounded by lovely A & B roads
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reliabiltity issues??

Hi

i've been browsin this forum for a couple of yrs now since before i bought my 98S UK Turbo, which i havn't got any more due to divorse!!

I'm now thinking of buying another Scooby A guy a i kinda know in my village used to have a V4 STi Type R, he traded it in against a Supra TT a while ago.

I was talikin to him in the pub the other eve & i was telling him that i was gonna be joing the Scooby clan again. Basically i'm thinkin of gettin an STi Type R V5 as i prefer the front end etc over the V4. Although i have taken a shine to the bug eye STi with headlamp conversion.

He told me that the STi Type Rs are a bit temperemental engine wise which is kinda makin me sway to the bug eye more.

Like any car, i presume if they're looked after properly then reliabiltiy should be ok with the Type R. As much as i love the Type R i'd rather go for a bug eye if there any issues that would cause concern.

I've got a FTO GP Version R at the moment, it looks the dogs dangles but unfortunately it's no where near as quick as it looks

Can't grumble though as it's never let me down yet, typical jap reliabilty

If anybody has any views or comments about any issues with the STi Type R i'd be most gratefull

Oh & i think the probs he kept having with his were sensor & ECU probs

Thanks in advance

Craig
Old 04 August 2005, 07:17 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by craigmk2crx
Hi

He told me that the STi Type Rs are a bit temperemental engine wise which is kinda makin me sway to the bug eye more.

Craig
The only thing you have to bare in mind is that the type R is an import which means that its ECU is configured for 100 Ron Fuel. Use of lower grade UK fuels can lead to det....very bad!! Basically, there are two solutions:

1) Use Optimax an Octane booster to bring the RON up to 100
2) Get a remap for UK fuel.

You'll need to make sure that the previous owners have done the above throughout the time the car has been in the Uk or the engine may be about to say cheerio! Otherwise they should be like any other scooby i.e. very reliable!

In either case you really should consider fitting a Knock link or as its sometimes referred to on here a "cocklink" If you do get a dodgy batch of fuel or something goes wrong which leads to det, it'll let you know so you can drive off boost until the problem is sorted.

NS04
Old 04 August 2005, 08:28 PM
jazzasti
Scooby Regular

same as every car in my opinion,if they are well looked after and maintained they go on forever
Old 05 August 2005, 04:11 PM
craigmk2crx
Scooby Regular

Location: nice quiet village just outside Huddersfield surrounded by lovely A & B roads

Thanks guys much appreciated!!

realistically it's probably going to be shortly after xmas before i start to seriously look for 1. I could probably get an older V4 in a couple of months but i really do want a V5.

Also i go to Oz at the end of Sept for 3wk so i'd rather make sure i've enough ££ As soon as i get back my main priority will be save save save for a scooby

Thanks again

Craig
Old 05 August 2005, 10:49 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

ive a 98 V4 Type R and she is very reliable so far anyway, joining this site is a bad idea i think man cos everytime u pop in u see, "help,bad det" or "help me cars fooked etc"..

i live in southern ireland and we only got 95 ron here and thats what my scoobies been runnin on here with some octane booster, ive treated her to some 101ron these past weeks (150euro for 50 litres), which is great stuff to be honest but it seemed to run grand on the other stuff too,look after it and it will be very very reliable
great engines and build