Notices

Oil coming into the intercooler Can any one help

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2005, 02:42 PM
lomaximus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil coming into the intercooler Can any one help

hi guys here's a problem for you i've got a p1 i 've spoken to dave at api but i don't want to keep pestering him. Basically the pressure hose attached to the wastegate actuator and the turbo broke and i lost power from the turbo. i repaired the hose but now there is smoke coming out the exhaust. I took the intercooler off and there was oil in it so i cleaned it. i turned the engine on while the intercooler was off and the turbo coughed up some oil, after about 2 mins this seemed to subside. i replaced the intercooler and un-hooked the wastegate actuator from the wastegate. then turned the engine on/ it started fine and ran fine (no smoke) for about a minute then it started to smoke again. i have just noticed tho that the wastegate actuator arm is not moving when i open the throttle. Can anyone out there trace where the fault can be.? (ps there are no electrical faults codes showing when i do a self diagnostic)

cheers chris
Old 29 July 2005, 03:24 PM
lomaximus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone?
Old 29 July 2005, 04:44 PM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Wastegate on the P1 turbo (VF28) works at a set pressure of 0.7 bar ie, you need to have 0.7 bar of pressure on the Wastegate to open it. It will not open if you blip the throttle as you'll have 0 pressure io just a little below if your lucky!

Oil in the I/c is normal as the oil vapours from the Crankcase and the Cam breathers are routed into the black inlet pipe ( for "environment reasons"), to remove these vapours, just vent the breathers to air or to a catch can. This will also reduce det as the oil vapours lower the octane level in the combustion chamber.

Russell