Notices

big end gone after 3000 miles 1500 runnin in

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2005, 01:45 AM
subaru jamie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry big end gone after 3000 miles 1500 runnin in

any body know the cause of this as ive just ad a full uprated engine rebuild omega pistons arrow rods sti 8 crank treated sti 8 block baffeld sump and every other bit n bob and basicley its ad 1500 miles of driving always warmed up till oil temp gets to 90 (10 mins) before boosting , it is burning alot of oil and always as but ive never had to put more than 1 litre in to take it to max .is this normal should it have happend so quick???? any ideas ,thoughts let me know as am not very clued up on this thanks jamie
Old 26 July 2005, 08:34 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

you can put the most expensive parts you wish into a engine but if its fuelling incorrectly/overboosting or simply has some sort of sensor/associated fault which gets left un-rectified then unfortunately you will have problems again........................

what age/model?? be worth running a diagnoses to see if any faults are stored??

alyn
Old 26 July 2005, 08:40 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

you say in the title that the big end has gone yet do not mention it in the post???
Just burning a bit of oil doesn't mean the big ends have let go, it does however sound like the piston to bore clearance is a little "slack" to say the least.

Andy
Old 26 July 2005, 12:01 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a word with your engine builder asap and let him diagnose the problem.
An engine, well built and in good tune should run for many thousands of miles if it is not abused.
Putting a litre of oil in to bring it back to the correct level is excessive and worrying on a 3,000 mile engine which has just been run in.
Old 26 July 2005, 01:00 PM
subaru jamie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stockcar
you can put the most expensive parts you wish into a engine but if its fuelling incorrectly/overboosting or simply has some sort of sensor/associated fault which gets left un-rectified then unfortunately you will have problems again........................

what age/model?? be worth running a diagnoses to see if any faults are stored??

alyn
hi the cars a 2001 sti v7 am defo gonna get them to run a diagnoses now as they want me to pay around 1k to get this fixed and am not impressed as ive just spent over 5k rebuilding the engine and its gave up the ghost already thanks for your reply jamie
Old 26 July 2005, 01:05 PM
subaru jamie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzz
you say in the title that the big end has gone yet do not mention it in the post???
Just burning a bit of oil doesn't mean the big ends have let go, it does however sound like the piston to bore clearance is a little "slack" to say the least.

Andy
sorry forgot to mention that in the post ,i droped it back of to garage were i ad the rebuild yesterday and they said cause its got low on the oil (1litre down)thats caused the big end to go ????
Old 26 July 2005, 01:11 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

No chance !!

Tell them there talking bull !!

No engine would do a big end in if was it sitting with 4.5 litres of oil (including filter) swirling around it !!!!!!!!!!!, maybe if it only had a litre in then yes !!

Your engine capacity IIRC is somewhat just under 5.5 litres .......... 5 ish should be the sump capacity & 0.5 ish for the filter

Ask for a second opinion

Also who rebuilded your engine Pm me if you like

Trending Topics

Old 26 July 2005, 01:14 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaru jamie
sorry forgot to mention that in the post ,i droped it back of to garage were i ad the rebuild yesterday and they said cause its got low on the oil (1litre down)thats caused the big end to go ????

I would suggest there spinning you a yarn,what crap!Dont pay i wouldnt,Did the rebuild come with some sort of warranty?For it to be burning oil there must have been something not quite right with the build or even a leak which has got to be there fault.
Old 26 July 2005, 01:37 PM
CataIunya
Scooby Regular

Doesn't really have to come with a warranty if it wasn't "fit for the job it was sold for" I would go citizens advice asap.