40 bhp, noisy exhausts & power delivery

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2005, 09:29 PM
philthejuggler
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 40 bhp, noisy exhausts & power delivery

Hi all,

I have a '54 plate WRX with an Afterburner exhaust.

I drove a WRX PPP demonstrator (which wasn't, in fairness, run in properly), but a) Something about the way the power was delivered made it feel less exciting than the standard WRX (while clearly faster)
b) £1600 sounds a lot, especially as I already have a nice backbox.

Sooo....

I had a chat with TSL who suggested remap + remove cat under centre of car and replace that + adjacent section with stainless steel tubing and said I should get about an extra 40bhp - same as PPP (in theory) for about £1000

My dealer is fairly 'mod' friendly and said that as far as he was concerned messing with those sections of the exhaust would only invalidate the warranty of the exhaust.

As far as I can tell the only way that the remap could be detected (and this has been confirmed by a contact in the trade and TSL) would be returning the car for examination at Subaru - the dealers do not have the relevant kit to test. Even if it was suspected it is unlilkely to be considered worth them investigating.

If I bite the bullet and go ahead, I have two concerns & I hope someone can fill me in on them:

1) The afterburner is more or less as loud at the moment as I'm comfortable with. I understand there will be a volume increase with the last cat in the chain gone, but is this going to be an incremental increase or a huge step louder? (If it is I'll flog the afterburner & replace with something more subtle - already got two people interested!)

2) The power should be greater, but will it feel like it does at the moment, only faster, or will the delivery change? - Can you remap ECU in different ways to get a more even delivery or more of a kick in the back?

Thanks in anticipation

Phil