Boost Problems

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2005, 09:20 PM
voddie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Boost Problems

First off, Hello to everyone as this is my first post

Ive just bought my first scoob, she is an my99 UK Turbo 2000. When I took the car out for a test drive before I bought her, I didnt notice that the boost was somewhat fooked, after driving out to skegness today and really opening her up, well, she doesnt !!!

The revs rise fine till about 3500, then everything just goes **** up. The boost is fine right up until that point. Its like the car is mis-firing or the boost level is going up and down. If I put my foot down further on the accelerater it seems to just slow the engine down.

Im going to book the car in at scoobyclinic for them to have a good look, and perhaps some tuning on the dyno, but that wont be for another week or so.

From what I know the car is standard apart from a full exhaust fitted.

Can anyone give any suggestions as to what this might be, and perhaps my worse case scenario ?? I need to get this sorted cus the dealer only gave me 3 months warranty.

Thanks

Marc
Old 17 July 2005, 09:34 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firstly Welcome,

Take the car back to the dealer, really without going into the many things it *could* be best to simply take it back... Scoobyclinic should be able to diagnose any issues however.

Hoses, plugs, fuel, injectors, AFM's, turbo etc etc really either Back to the garage or in the very least get some diags done. The basic ECU diags could be worth a go in the first instance.

Go here for more info, perhaps you could try this yourself if you feel confident enough.

Good luck.

http://www.saxonfields.freeserve.co....iag%20Page.htm
Old 17 July 2005, 09:42 PM
voddie
Scooby Regular

Thank you

Ill have a go at the diags and let you know the results.

Marc
Old 18 July 2005, 11:33 AM
voddie
Scooby Regular

Could running the engine on 95 octane be a problem? It says in the manual that it can accept it. Just a thought, trying to find a super unleaded station in my area now.....
Old 18 July 2005, 02:30 PM
voddie
Scooby Regular

Should the engine continue to idle when the maf sensor is disconnected?
Old 18 July 2005, 02:51 PM
Yuck Fou Motorsport
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by voddie
Should the engine continue to idle when the maf sensor is disconnected?
The engine should die or tick over very lumpy if the MAF is unpluged when running, if not then its safe to say the MAF is fubar'd and the ECU is using values from various sensors on the engine to keep it running.

Worth getting it hooked up at a Subaru garage just to check it out before parting with £100 for a new MAF.

MY 99/2000 MAF's are prone to going **** up, I had a 1999 STi, did the same as you have discribed untill I fitted a new MAF sensor

And I wouldn't use any petrol lower than 97 Ron (Super unleaded), Optimax is 98 Ron, some Tesco stations are doing a 99 Ron but theres not many doing it.
Old 18 July 2005, 06:01 PM
voddie
Scooby Regular

Ive phoned the dealer from who I got the car, when I mentioned the problem he said "Yeah, the maf sensor is usually prone to failure on that model" Then he asked to get the part number off the unit. It was like he knew the sensor was on the way out, or maybe its just me speculating. I called Subaru up to get the part number for the car and they gave me a totally different part number, im guessing this is a revised unit.

The dealer is going to call me when he has the part, and ill keep you posted on the outcome.

Marc
Old 18 July 2005, 09:34 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine's doing the same as your car mate, took it into a scooby dealership today, we took it for a spin with a computer plugged into the ecu and it didnt find any problems, so i dropped it onto second and floored it and he said it was the boost solonoid playing up, new one gets fitted on thursday, i'll let you know if this sorts it in case its the same for your car mate
Old 20 July 2005, 04:46 PM
voddie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Anger
Mine's doing the same as your car mate, took it into a scooby dealership today, we took it for a spin with a computer plugged into the ecu and it didnt find any problems, so i dropped it onto second and floored it and he said it was the boost solonoid playing up, new one gets fitted on thursday, i'll let you know if this sorts it in case its the same for your car mate
Did you check to see if you have any error codes? Just checked mine and its saying code 23, which is the MAF sensor. Its booked into my local subaru centre on friday morning to have some more diags done. The bloke on the phone mentioned the boost solenoid, but we shall see on friday
Old 22 July 2005, 12:01 PM
voddie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Problem sorted. The MAF sensor was replaced by Subaru this morning.
He checked everything else on his little diag machine and everything came up clean.

Oh and he showed me what my car can actually do !! Fooook me !!!
Old 22 July 2005, 06:45 PM
scotwrx
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by voddie
Could running the engine on 95 octane be a problem? It says in the manual that it can accept it. Just a thought, trying to find a super unleaded station in my area now.....
im having some boosting problems sometimes i get 1.4 bar and then other times i only get as low as 0.8. can you help could it be the turbo solenoid...... its been like this for months and i have had no joy. i was considering on taking it on a rolling road and see if that would help.

help me please..............
Old 23 July 2005, 02:57 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Had my MAF done instead of the boost solonoid and every thing is fine on my car now, i cant believe the difference its made
Old 23 July 2005, 03:26 PM
voddie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Anger
Had my MAF done instead of the boost solonoid and every thing is fine on my car now, i cant believe the difference its made
Nice one mate !!

Good feeling isnt it knowing the cars sorted !!!

How much they charge you for the MAF? Mine was £79.50, they wanted be to book the car in for it to be fitted, ie charge me for labour costs. The mechanic was a really sound bloke, he went behind his gaffers back and fitted it in the car park. Only a two minute job that I could have done myself, but its the thought that counts