Notices

Cars Been Chipped!!

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2005, 06:43 PM
Kenny.S
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Cars Been Chipped!!

Just found out that my car's got some horrible Japanese aftermarket chip in it!

Only found out by following Japanese performance mags project Ra, who took their car to G-Force Motorsport to have a Gems ecu fitted and mapped.
In doing so they found it had this nasty chip. G-Force said that they've seen a lot of Sti's that come in through TEG Sport (guess where my car came from) with this and that they all have one thing in common, they go BANG over here
Opened the ecu and sure enough its got the dreaded number they listed on the main processer!

I'm planning on getting the ecu changed as soon as (sooner now!) but if this chip is as bad as they're making out, as the old saying goes am i simply closing the stable door after the horse has bolted by changing it now? Or if the engine still seems ok get it sorted and hope for the best?

Don't want to sound like i'm panicing but if anyone has come across this before or has any views or advice it would be much appreciated.

Kenny
Old 17 July 2005, 10:32 PM
Kenny.S
Scooby Regular

Forgot to mention the number on the chip is F52RC0206 if this rings any bells with anyone.
The other thing i noticed was that the screws holding the cover of the ecu on had no signs of being touched but they were a total pig to get out and now look like they've been out! They had that factory looking loctite on them? So if someone has been in there they must have replaced them, that or the whole ecu was changed?
Seems strange that so many of these cars have this same chip and if it's as bad as they're making out why do so many choose to fit it? Is it not possible it's just the stock program that doesn't respond well to being used over here? Also i though this ecu was locked and couldn't be altered?

Kenny
Old 17 July 2005, 10:45 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

Normally if the car has been 'chipped' there will be an Eprom or a board with Eproms fitted to the spare 28pin holder on the main ECU board shown below :-

Also J1 (link) will also be cut or removed

Cheers
Old 17 July 2005, 10:55 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

If you've taken it out what have you replaced it with and why remove it in the first place if you're changing the ECU?
Old 18 July 2005, 11:21 AM
Kenny.S
Scooby Regular

That spare holder you've pointed out is indeed where the wee bugger is!
I haven't removed it just opened the ecu and had a look, is it possible to remove it though and reconnect link J1? Would this return the car to standard?
I am going to get the ecu changed but would like to make the thing as safe as i can for now, easiest way of course is not to bring it on boost but thats easier said than done in an RA!!

Kenny
Old 18 July 2005, 12:32 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I don't know what your future plans are, but why not have an Apexi FC fitted/mapped (say by the Wizard, Andy F) and live in a world of

Peace
Freedom
and a ballistic performance on Optimax?

you will never look back.

Graham.
ps: There is a Group Buy just happening too!
Old 18 July 2005, 12:55 PM
Kenny.S
Scooby Regular

Getting Andy to fit and map an Apexi was my original intention when i bought the car along with a decent exhaust etc. I've also got some cosmetic things to tidy up too which are really starting to bug me but i think getting the thing running right has to take priority, especially now i know it's got a some dodgy Jap chip in it.

I had considered going the Gems route, i know it's a lot more expenseive but the fact it does away with the MAF and uses tp and intake temp to control ignition etc seems a bit safer to me but ill stand corrected on this if someone can tell me otherwise. How does a MAF work out the temp and volume of air that's flowing through it?
ie on a given day when the ambient temp is say 15 deg the MAF will see a given amount of air with a set throttle position but if the ambient was 25 deg how does it know it's a temp increase and not just less air going through it? Is there a direct relationship between throttle position and MAF signal.
Or am i just thinking with a hangover

Kenny