Notices

Wrapping downpipe - how much wrap? Paint or not?

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2005, 02:34 PM
edge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrapping downpipe - how much wrap? Paint or not?

Hi.

I'm about to receive my new decat downpipe (H&S open-neck one, 2.5" where it joins the center section, for a classic), and want to have it wrapped before I put it on the car.

I already have a 50ft roll of 2" of Thermotec graphite black wrap I purchased from a friend, along with some snap-straps. Will it be enough to wrap the downpipe?

With regards to painting it afterwards, my friend told that this Thermotec graphite black wrap didn't need it. Is it true, or should I paint it anyway? I got a can of Hycote black high-temp paint, think it's the right stuff for the job.

Oh, and one last question. I read on some threads here at SN, that damping the wrap would make it easier to install and also a tighter fit. Any tips on that? How long should I wait untill painting if is applied damp?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Paulo
Old 17 July 2005, 03:02 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine recently and IMHO you'll have plenty even allowing for a good 1" overlap.

Pre-soaking (30 mins warm water) does ensure a tighter fit once dry (as the warp shrinks when dry) and also when using fiber glass based wraps helps prevent some of the fibers from going everywhere (including your lungs..!). Wearing gloves is also advisable.

I spray painted mine as it is supposed to stop the wrapping getting wet, steaming and smelling like a wet dog..! I supppose it depends on the type of wrapping you're using..?

Give it a couple of days in the sun to dry before painting. I've put smaller pipes in a low oven for a hour or so in the past, however the DP is probably too big..?

Lastly, be prepared for a few fumes once on the car, it does go away after a few days..!