FMIC water spray questions

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2005, 08:51 PM
edge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMIC water spray questions

Hi.

I want to install a water spray for my Hybrid FMIC. But I'm having some doubts about the which type of nozzles to use, their prefered location and also what type of spray pattern is more efective. I found alot of info no DIY setups here at SN, but they're for top mounts.

If anyone has any views on this subject and links from where to get the parts, it would be great.

Cheers,
Paulo
Old 15 July 2005, 09:21 PM
willfal
Scooby Regular

i have sent you PM,

the problem you will have with Front mount water spray is siphoning. your choice of nozzles wont help.

regards
Will
Old 15 July 2005, 09:26 PM
dragonwrx
Scooby Regular

yep i had the same problem nozzles constantly leaking on even tried one way valves and that didnt seem to solve the problem either.any suggestions or ideas to overcome would be great.
Old 16 July 2005, 07:28 AM
andy99turbo
Scooby Regular

You could try running a return tube back from the last nozzle into the reservoir, this may help

What nozzles are you using ?
Old 16 July 2005, 05:05 PM
fujack
Scooby Regular

Hi have you tried pressure valves like saabs use they only open under pressure?
Old 16 July 2005, 05:17 PM
dragonwrx
Scooby Regular

i got some ones off a volvo with a ball bearing in kinda thing also tried headlight washer jets but they all seem to leak.ill try the saab ones tho if i can find some.
Old 16 July 2005, 08:31 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

i moved my head-light washer jets to the left and right of the no. plate bracket
now i've got to get the holes filled in and that's that

Old 16 July 2005, 10:48 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)

Are you doing this because your intake temps are too high ?

Has anyone else who's done it recorded any noticable drop in temp ?

Mark.
Old 17 July 2005, 04:59 PM
willfal
Scooby Regular

the only way to resolve this properly is by use of a water solenoid, i can supply these PM if interested.

Will
Old 18 July 2005, 06:16 AM
dragonwrx
Scooby Regular

scooby dazza,is that using the normal waser bottle in the same place behind the battery?
Old 18 July 2005, 09:06 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)

With regard to siphoning, has anyone tried the one way valve Halfords sell for windscreen washers ?

Has no one got any temp info ?

Mark.
Old 18 July 2005, 09:29 AM
DubaiNeil
Scooby Regular

I get approx a 4C temperature drop due to water spray (measured on a thermometer probe inserted in the hole left from the throttle body water bypass change - so not direct charge air temperature, that's the next sensor to be installed!). This is however from much higher ambient temp than you guys will experience. This is on an APS FMIC with two spray jets, running on a normal washer pump fed from the washer bottle.

I don't understand the siphoning issue not being resolved by a one way valve - the Halfrauds version worked fine for me! Try blowing through one to understand the air pressure required to break the seal!
Old 18 July 2005, 09:31 AM
DubaiNeil
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add, the SECS monitor for some reason also see's a reduced intake temperature (measured at the MAF I presume) when the water spray runs - I can actually get this to be lower than the displayed external air temperature - does that mean I've got >100% efficiency now
Old 25 June 2011, 08:56 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Guys, Well I figured i might as well resurrect this thread rather than start my own, but basically I have plumbed up the FMIC spray at ease using a Scania jet, it works a treat, and I have also managed to get my hands on a 0.5mm drill bit to add more holes to get a more evenly covered spray/mist.

Anyway the real reason for getting this thread going again is becuase I have now sprayed my FMIC Black so Im aware it will likely get more heat soak than a silver on, but as I dont have stats to hand just yet its all guess work.

However I have the same siphoning symptoms as described above, so im going to look into this one way valve

Rob
Old 25 June 2011, 10:58 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok so I have been doing a little home work regarding the FMIC spray siphoning the tank, and here is what I have found:

The below was robbed of an RX7 forum

Your first application will also be your last. To prevent that, create a siphon break by putting a tee and a short length of hose with a Whisper one way aquarium air line valve at the end, on the hose at a point above the washer tank at the back of the car. It is important to create a fairly sharp bend in the hose and put the tee at the top of the bend for maximum effectiveness. The one way valve prevents fluid from squirting out under pressure, but air is pulled in to the hose, breaking the siphon after the washer is turned off. (The end of the valve that you CAN'T blow through is pointed toward the tee.) Use the sprayer for a second after filling to make sure that any siphon that was created during filling is broken.
Old 26 June 2011, 11:44 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the intercooler core is efficient you are completely wasting your time and effort putting water spray on an FMIC.
Subaru introduced water spray so that it could be homologated on rally cars using TMIC sometimes having to sit for several minutes before the off at the beginning of a stage when ACTs could get to 60C and more with anti lag and heat soak.
The intercooler spray helps to get rid of heat soak but has only a marginal effect when you are on the move.
If you want to monitor ACTs then invest in an ACT guage. £87.50 from me delivered but you can probably knock one up from Maplin, PC World or RS Components for about half that price if you are handy at putting together little electronic things.