Notices

PPP for MY05 STI ? worth doing?

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2005, 07:44 PM
pog240
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PPP for MY05 STI ? worth doing?

Unfortunately I bought my STI before the free PPP upgrade, I have got a discount with the dealer but it is sill a lot of dosh for 40bhp.
I dont want to invalidate the warranty and want more power so I want the PPP.
Is the power and torque gain worth the upgrade and does the fuel consumption alter much. Obviously if driven sensibly .
I know this must have been asked a thousand times before so sorry for the repetition, but I cant find the answer in a search.

Cheers

Paul
Old 13 July 2005, 08:55 PM
Engineer@Uni
Scooby Regular

Yep, you're right, it has been asked a few hundred times before, but as you're new to scoobynet, I'll have to say two things:

1)Welcome

2)Assuming you value your warranty there is no other alternative. Fuel consumption doesn't go up dramatically, and as I'ev found drastically depends on your mood. If the car is full throttle above 3600 rpm, you can effectively less than halve your mileage. The PPP will remove two of the three catalysts (if i remember correctly) thus reducing losses due to backpressure. Assuming you're not hammering it, on a theoretical basis, this means fewer losses and better mileage. It also means less lag. (I haven't got a PPP on mine yet, but apparently full boost pops up about 300 rpm lower down the range) The PPP will give a measureable rise in torque, and make the car more pleasant and fast, but don't expect the moon and the earth.

Personally I'd say get down to prodrive and get a laser-allignment and geometry setup (should be under 150 squid) for a signifficant and notriceable upgrade in driving quailty that won't kill your milleage, and wait for the guarantee to expire before popping down to TSL for their 333 conversion, that will take you up to 333 bhp and 330 lb.ft for 2600 sterling.

Either way, enjoy your new car and drive safe!
Old 13 July 2005, 09:05 PM
pog240
Scooby Newbie

Thanks, you have confirmed just what i expected, I like the idea of the geometry setup, a friend also recommended the spring upgrade for reduction of underseer.
I know what you mean about the mpg, long runs at less than 80mph give very good mpg, however thats not me........ so what!
I knew the fuel figures before I bought the car and I love it.
Still fancy the extra torque though and nearly 3 yrs for the warranty to expire is a damn long time.
Seems like I will be saving the pennies for a while longer!

Thanks for the reply.

Paul
Old 14 July 2005, 11:49 AM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

On the MY02STI, the PPP made a HUGE difference, Night and Day.
I believe it is not so noticable since the Blobeye, but is will be significant
AFAIK, the STI has 2 Cats before the PPP and 2 cats after the PPP, but the cat in the
downpipe is replaced with a Sports Cat.
On my car, the car had no power whatsoever before ~3700 rpm, but now pulls strong from less than 3000rpm, which makes it much nicer to drive.
And means that you never have to leave 6th gear on the motorway... but still never get in to 6th gear on any other road.
Old 14 July 2005, 10:46 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Paul,

I was in a similar situation with not getting the free PPP but I've since had it fitted (with a bit of discount .) I wanted it doing sooner rather than later as I know how much difference it made to my bugeye WRX - I had it fitted to that at 20k miles and wished I'd done it sooner...

On my STi, I had it fitted at 2700 miles and have now done over 4000 so it still no where near run in fully and it keeps getting better and better The standard STi seeemed to be a bit peaky at 4000rpm - it was a bit dead and then it went well once you were finally on boost but you were grabbing the next gear up at that point so seemed a bit frantic.

With the PPP the power comes in lower (can't remember whether it's 3k or 3.5k rpm)and is a lot smoother. Two of the cats are replaced by one sports / hi-flow cat and you keep an original cat so effectively you've got 1 1/2 as opposed to 3 originally This decatting makes things a lot smoother and you don't feel that you're having to "drive against a restriction" which means you can be gentler with the throttle to get the same response and obviously, it'll go better if you hit the loud pedal.

There isn't as much of a kick in the back as for the WRX version but if you get it on full chat then it's definitely rapid and you might be hanging on too much to notice trivial bits

For consumption, on the WRX I got 22-ish mpg pre PPP and 24/25-ish mpg post PPP with runs up to 29mpg. I'd also done the IAM advanced driving which tends to increase mpg with the driving techniques you pick up (not necessarily just by driving slower but better use of the throttle etc - more anticipation rather than "hothead" driving )

With the STi I'm getting 22 / 23-ish round town (before and after PPP) as I'm using the power more as it's running in but it's a lot more relaxed driving and it's there when you need the power delivery. I've justy had a week in Scotland, got 19mpg on a "playing" mode and managed 33mpg on some of the journey home by being a good boy the rest of the journey I was getting 26/28mpg

For the gears, fourth and fifth are fairly flexible pre PPP and afterwards you don't need much more for effortless driving, with 6th used for cruising / motorways. I tend to drop it to third if I really want to blast past something from a "crawl." I was used to a five speed box then I just think of the new 6-speed as being the same but with another ratio in - let me explain before you say no **** Sherlock . What I classed as 3rd I now use 4th, old 4th = new 5th etc so old 5th = new 6th for cruising etc and I still have a lot more flexibility than I had n the WRX IMO. The way it works against you is if you're caught well off boost in a high gear then it'll be very sluggish until it picks up - you go from needing a calendar to OK acceleration just off boost to Jeez, hang on as it comes on boost

I know someone who had the TSL 333 after PPP and AFAIR they didn't remap the 4th & 5th gears as they were OK in PPP guise for performance, it was the rest they "tweaked..."

For the PPP, I just need to get mine a bit more run in...

Andy

PS on the insurance, LV didn't increase my premium when I informed them as I think they recognise that a lot of the new cars have it fitted "as standard" with the dealer offer...

Last edited by Apple; 14 July 2005 at 10:54 PM.
Old 15 July 2005, 07:11 PM
mid_life_crisis
Scooby Regular

I had PPP on a 2004 WRX and the difference is massive, hugely improved drivability with wider power band and more top end. Best £1600 I ever spent.
Now I’ve got a 2005 STi with PPP and Prodrive springs, the PPP was fitted on delivery rather than at the 1000 mile service which is more normal. Unfortunately I can’t comment on any improvements since the demonstrator I drove also had PPP. I would say the WRX PPP is more drivable overall but ultimately not as fast.
A word of warning, the Prodrive springs are extremely hard on the 2005 using the standard RE070 tyres, do an 18” wheel / tyre upgrade for a big improvement in road manners and ride.
Old 15 July 2005, 10:06 PM
V5-APS
Scooby Regular

The STi PPP replaces the std down pipe cat with a sports cat down pipe and removes the second cat completely with a straight through pipe. It retains the centre resonated section of the std exhaust and finishes with a Prodrive back box. Also includes re-programmed ecu and high performance fuel pump. Well worth doing if you want to retain warranty and have better performance.