MY03 WRX - cheapest way to use more fuel

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2005, 09:30 PM
crispyduck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MY03 WRX - cheapest way to use more fuel

Dear Scoobynet'ers,

A good friend of mine has a MY03 WRX with the little 'kitty cats' subtly removed, well scraped out ;-) Other than that, no other mods. Previous advice on here suggests MY03's could start getting a little leaner. I’m really looking for innovative advice on alternative DIY methods to increasing fuelling without ECU re-programming/re-mapping.

I'm assuming technical advice to date is saying that with the increased flow the standard car is unable to compensate enough with extra fuel and/or ignition timing. Have had no advice yet if this is to do with the standard fuel pump not able to sustain the required fuel pressure or if it's just not within the tolerance of the standard ECU map.

Was wondering if one could simply and cheaply increase the fuel to air ratio of these cars. Obviously a remap, say TEK 2/3, would sort this but that's a little too easy!

Was thinking along the lines of increasing fuel pressure, perhaps an adjustable fuel pressure value, slightly larger injectors, may be even tricking a sensor to force the ECU to slightly over fuel. Perhaps this would be a fruitless exercise and the ECU would compensate by it’s monitoring of what's doing on via Lambada. Was also wondering what other issues might need to be considered, perhaps standard fuel pump would need to be upgraded?

In summary, just looking for good honest advice to bottom this theory out. Perhaps we have a cheap DIY fix here or sound reasons (other than warranty) for puting this idea in the trash.

Thanks in advance,
-Steve.
Old 10 July 2005, 09:40 PM
crispyduck
Scooby Regular

Just seen on a thread that variable fuel pressure regs may not be very reliable.

Can one increase fuel pressure using say an MY03 STi OEM regulator? Perhaps fuel pressure (and reg) is the same on the WRX and STi?
Old 16 July 2005, 08:28 PM
crispyduck
Scooby Regular

Anyone know much about this lot?
-Steve.
Old 16 July 2005, 10:11 PM
New_scooby_04

Couldn't begin to tell you how to adjust fueling parameters without a remap mate. Personally, this sounds like a 'bodged solution to a problem that may not exist' scenario. If your friend is worrying abut the car running lean then they could buy a knocklink, which would warn you if the car was detting! General concensus would appear to be that a decat shouldn't cause problems under normal conditions, you just won't be getting the benefits without a remap.

NS04
Old 16 July 2005, 10:35 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

I would pay for a dyno run to check the boost and mixture, the std car runs rather rich by all accounts.

dipster
Old 17 July 2005, 10:08 PM
crispyduck
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks guys. Appriciate your replies.
-Steve.