Notices

Fitting Megan Headers

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2005, 04:30 PM
scoobyboy34
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting Megan Headers

I ordered a set of Megan headers from e-bay a few months back, great price (£220 + £13 P&P!!) Haven't got around to fitting them yet, but I was wondering how difficult it would be to fit them. Do you need to take the turbo off, as the up pipe is welded to the Megan headers I was curious if you could get your hand at the bottom of the turo without removing it. Any other things I should be wary of when fitting? There being Installed on a MY94 STi.
Old 10 July 2005, 10:36 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

The turbo doesnt need to be removed,The up-pipe bolts are accessed fron the top of the turbo the exhaust down pipe needs to be removed to access two of them.The offside engine mounting needs undoing and the engine jacked up a couple of inces to get the megans in.
Old 10 July 2005, 10:53 PM
simon57
Scooby Regular

Ive got a MY01 wrx.

Mine were a right bugger to fit....Had to have a slight dent put into the left corner of the sump so the n/s header would clear it and leave a gap.

great sound though. its now got a rasp at speed. but still keeps the wurble at low revs...
Old 10 July 2005, 11:48 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

IMO as you need to remove the downpipe and are changing the up-pipe anyway you may as well take the turbo off, it'll make life a lot easier.

The headers will go on without loosening the engine mount also. Offer the headers up and rotate them 180 degrees about the up-pipe flange. The up-pipe should slip up the gap and you'll be able to rotate the headers back into their normal position.

The Megan cross-pipe does run terribly close to (often touching) the sump, i noticed an average of 0.2bar drop in oil pressure due to increased temps.

Throw away the Megan gaskets also, best to use the Subaru ones. Refurbish your current ones if they don't look too shabby.

HTH
Carl