Notices

Urgent Help Required

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2005, 01:43 AM
TURBO7379
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Urgent Help Required

I've an engine problem on my 205 gti race car maybe someone could help me with .

During the last days racing my engine lost all power & was just about running . It sounded like the timing was badly off . The timing belt was loose so I thought maybe the belt had jumped a tooth . I fitted a new belt & tensioner tonight , checking the static timing was 100 % with the locating dowels but it's still no better .

I've a good spark & the plugs are ok . I changed the ignition module & the ECU - no better . I removed the injector rail & turned the engine over with them removed . All the injectors seem to be firing together , approx 3-4 times per rotation of the camshaft . Surely they should be firing in sequence ?

My battery was nearly flat by then so I left the car on the charger & I've retired for a well earned beer . Anybody any suggestions where to look next ? The only other problems I discovered was a broken wire on a water temp sensor & the main earth cable on the gearbox was broken off but repairing them didn't help . Maybe I've a burnout in the loom caused by the broken earth ?

I've a race on Sunday so any tips on what to check tomorrow evening would be greatly appreciated .

Cheers ,
Derek
Old 02 July 2005, 10:43 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

If it's the water temp sensor wire for the ECU (not the guage) - I think you may have found the problem, its quite a critical compent for adjusting the fueling correctly.
Old 02 July 2005, 02:50 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Are you absolutely sure the belt only slipped a tooth or two..?

Could there be a slightly bent valve stem/valve not seating properly..?
Old 03 July 2005, 05:42 PM
nsld
Scooby Regular

Have you cleaned inside the distributor cap? 205 1.9 gti's are notorious for leaking oil seals on the shaft that drives the rotor arm, mine used to need cleaning every couple of thousand miles as it would start misfiring, staggering and generally dying on me.