Notices

steering wheel locks under boost

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2005, 05:10 PM
catalunya199again
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering wheel locks under boost

i put my foot down today and heard this rattle ( thats been there since the wrx02 tmic was fitted) then the wheel locked so i had to take my foot off the accelerator and it was fine again. i have noticed that near the turbo and i/c is a big long dipstick (likes like it to me anyway) and that is now sitting under the i/c instead of beside it.

1 could that be causing it

2 what the hell is it
Old 24 June 2005, 07:07 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by catalunya199again
i put my foot down today and heard this rattle ( thats been there since the wrx02 tmic was fitted) then the wheel locked so i had to take my foot off the accelerator and it was fine again. i have noticed that near the turbo and i/c is a big long dipstick (likes like it to me anyway) and that is now sitting under the i/c instead of beside it.

1 could that be causing it Dont Know

2 what the hell is it dip stick for gearbox oil level
Old 24 June 2005, 08:41 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

strange one....could be the universal joint faulty at the bottom of the stearing column...you may have movement in the crosse member...or it could be a dodgy steering lock ????
Old 24 June 2005, 09:16 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Are you talking about the steering colum that goes from the bulkhead to the Steering rack?

If you are and the i/c is close to this?It could be that under high looad the i/c is being jammed against it and causing it to lock.

I would have thought the i/c was to high for this to happen but you never know.
Old 24 June 2005, 10:10 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

In addition to the above.

You can get power on steering lock-up if the front diff is knackered I had that when the front diff spat teeth on a 405 I owned many years ago. However, your symptoms you're describing don't sound quite like that - I had to dip the clutch to get much steering back, and even then it was clear something was wrong. Something jamming into the steering UJ could be an option, or problems with the front CV joints on their way out and seizing under power. Without having a proper look, it's very difficult to tell - I don't mean to scaremonger!
Old 27 June 2005, 01:08 PM
catalunya199again
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replys any more would be appreciated. it is bugging the hell out of me what is the average price if its the diff causing the problem, also what is the average price of the uj or other parts as i have a service due and mot in 2 weeks

it is just odd that when driving without the turbo its fine in both directions as soon as there is some power usually starts around 3200 rpm then the sh*t starts