Notices

Help - ECM damage wrong wiring

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2005, 10:24 AM
ccahybrid
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - ECM damage wrong wiring

hi all, I have had a nightmare with my 96 uk impreza. I have fitted a new battery with nice terminals and got the wires mixed up and blown something in the car. It seems to be the ecm. I have sourced a second hand unit but it needs programming to the car. The only problem is the car doesn't move now. Have check the wiring on the ecm and found that the old unit has a blown resistor so i have wired past this to see if it works. Now it powers up and check engine flashes on the dash. The car still doesn't start. I need a wiring diagram for a uk spec ecm (8s) so that I can read the voltages coming out the unit. The only workshop manual I can find on the net is one for a left hand drive wrx, it has four plugs. My ecm has only three. Please could somebody send me a link to some info or any advice, I would be greatfull.

Or do you think it would be best to transport the car to a subaru garage and have the new ecm programmed to the car, but I don't know if anything else has blown. Has anybody else had this problem?
Old 22 June 2005, 04:52 PM
PlaneSailing
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a lot of bits you can fry on a scooby with reverse polarity - I would suggest you read the fault codes now that you have correct polarity and a functioning ECU it may well identify other problems.
Beware however that a single failed component can throw up multiple fault codes - Eliminate/replace the component with the lowest numeric fault code first and re-set ECU after each replacement.
To be honest I would suggest you revert the car to an expert.