Boost problems

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2005, 02:41 PM
DIPSY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Boost problems

My2000 turbo

Last edited by DIPSY; 18 October 2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 20 June 2005, 05:33 PM
ClassicScoobyJay
Scooby Regular

I have a standard MY99 turbo and this happens to me - also mainly in 3rd, 4th & 5th. I've reported it at each service to Subaru, and they've cleaned the boost pipes & solenoid with brake cleaner.

Same as you, this fixes it for a while but it always comes back. I'm also considering getting a Dawes device and fixing the boost at 0.9 bar.

Any comments from Scooby veterans? I've read about this issue before and the short term fix has always simply been to clean out the pipes. I'd guess manual boost control is the only long term solution?

If so - could someone recommend a garage in the London area that can fit it for me?

edit: I'm still under warranty - has anyone had a permanent fix from Subaru under warranty?

Last edited by ClassicScoobyJay; 20 June 2005 at 05:42 PM.
Old 20 June 2005, 07:56 PM
P.S leWiS
BANNED

And what lingo was that in?
Originally Posted by DIPSY
Hello classicscoobyjay .Regards fitting a dawes its easy take the pipe between actuator and inlet manifold remove stick to screws up these pipes and the dawes pipe will go on in place were they went .I hope you have boost gauge for setting pressure to.I never had this problem running factory boost setting plus subaru dealers put to much oil in so can clogg boost solenoid .I spook to awd in perth in scotland the soleniod dosnt like the sort of boost i am running i think thats why some folk are running boost controllers to solve this
Old 20 June 2005, 08:07 PM
ClassicScoobyJay
Scooby Regular

Cheers Dipsy - I think I got the gist! And yes I do have a boost gauge. I first noticed the problem using the gauge on the motorway when I saw the boost fluctuate betweeen 0.7 and 1.1 bar in 5th on WOT (I felt the surging too - but I guess I wouldn't have concluded it was a boost problem so quickly without the gauge).

I know this problem affects classic owners running with no mods (like me). I wonder if anyone here has taken the step of solving it by installing a manual boost controller...?
Old 27 June 2005, 02:56 PM
ClassicScoobyJay
Scooby Regular

bttt

Subaru have offered to replace my boost solenoid under warranty. Not sure if this will do much as I believe it's still the same design. Ah well, at least it might stay clean for a week or two.

Anyone able to answer my question about fitting a MBC to solve this?