Boost control with Power FC

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2005, 10:57 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost control with Power FC

Hi folks,

Tried doing a search but couldn't find the info I was after.

I've read that you CANNOT use a Dawes MBC with a Power FC - is this true?

I've also read that the Power FC can use the OEM boost control system quite happily, is this true for MY97 cars?

Finally, I had a Dawes which I sold (long story ) and when I plugged all the standard pipework back in the car only made about 7psi. I did the usual and cleaned the solenoid with brake cleaner, along with all the vacuum pipes (some of which I replaced), which didn't make any difference. I remember that before I put the Dawes on (about 3 years ago lol!) it used to make at least 11/12psi,so not sure what's happened - is it possible my boost solenoid has just died due to lack of use?!

I have since fitted a TD05 (YES, WITHOUT A REMAP!!! ), and I now get 8psi (WOW! ). I'm due to have a PowerFc fitted and mapped in a few weeks so would like to get this sorted before then. Any ideas?? I have a new Dawes on order anyway.

Cheers,
Jamie

Last edited by JamieMacdonald; 06 June 2005 at 10:59 PM. Reason: cos I'm :mad: not :) !
Old 07 June 2005, 01:01 AM
rroberrto
Scooby Regular

worked fine on my my2000
Old 07 June 2005, 08:59 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I'm using a dawes with mine, best to chat with your mapper about all the options. Are you sure you connected up all the tubes correctly? If you accidently directly connected the wastegate to the turbo then 0.7 bar is what you'd get.
Old 07 June 2005, 09:19 AM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rroberrto
worked fine on my my2000
Do you mean with a Dawes, or with the OEM solenoid?

Originally Posted by Jay m A
I'm using a dawes with mine, best to chat with your mapper about all the options. Are you sure you connected up all the tubes correctly? If you accidently directly connected the wastegate to the turbo then 0.7 bar is what you'd get.
I think I put it back as it was, the turbo & wastgate are tee'd together and connect to the boost control solenoid - that's right isn't it? Is there supposed to be a restrictor in one of these pipes? I've never come across one and as I said I've actually replaced a few of the pipes, don't think (if this is missing...) it would make it underboost though? At least I know I can use a Dawes, I willl speak to my mapper nearer the time re: that.

Any more thoughts?
Cheers,
Jamie
Old 07 June 2005, 10:41 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all, please tell me the PowerFC has already been mapped for a UK car?

Of course you can use a Dawes with the PFC. The dawes is completely independant of anything, and is likely to be the quickest and easiest method to get some control.

I am pretty sure you can't turn on the boost control with only the hand controller. If you fit the Apexi boost control kit, the PFC will detect it and turn on the control. You will most likely need a 3 port solenoid for sensible control, the setup you have described is consistent with a 2 port factory setup found on the 97-> cars.

Someone such as myself or Andy.F have the appropriate software to allow boost control to be enabled.

Paul
Old 07 June 2005, 12:34 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Boost control can be turned on and off with the commander..

It is under the ETC menu Paul.

As Paul says the Dawes is no problem, have run Apexi PFC on with dawes, with 3port solenoid and with AVCR.

Simon
Old 07 June 2005, 12:39 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pavlo
First of all, please tell me the PowerFC has already been mapped for a UK car?
Don't worry - I haven't actually fitted the PowerFC yet , the 'without a remap' bit referred to the standard ECU, which on the face of it appears to be doing a sterling job of coping with the TD05 (at this low boost setting anyway). Don't even want to turn the boost up until the PowerFC is fitted and mapped TBH, but now I know that the Dawes won't confuse it etc. I'll definitely go with that for now as I have always been impressed with the quick spool up and rock steady control it has provided.

When I did a search I found at least 3 posts where people had said you cannot use a Dawes with a PowerFC - just goes to show that you should take a lot of the 'advice' on here with a pinch of salt.

Many thanks,
Jamie
Old 07 June 2005, 06:25 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
Boost control can be turned on and off with the commander..

It is under the ETC menu Paul.

As Paul says the Dawes is no problem, have run Apexi PFC on with dawes, with 3port solenoid and with AVCR.

Simon
That's useful to know, I haven't had a car that hasn't already had some other means of boost control. I wonder why they (apexi) promote the boost control kit so much?

Paul
Old 08 June 2005, 12:34 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

That's useful to know, I haven't had a car that hasn't already had some other means of boost control. I wonder why they (apexi) promote the boost control kit so much?

Paul
I THINK it is because the early cars map sensor tops out at 1.2bar, and it is easy money to promote it for all etc..

So they do the same map sensor that goes with the AVCR and the AVCR solenoid in the boost kit.. ie. just manufacture extra bits of the kit they are already manufacturing anyway for the AVCR.
It does work very well too though of course but the standard solenoid is well up to the job imho, not done many 2ports to be honest but not had a problem yet.

Out of interest Paul have you wired your AVCR map sensor into the PFC?

The PFC with 2port solenoid or 3port solenoid has shown very good boost control imho on the cars I have mapped. Very much like OE really only higher boost target obviously . The 3port is of course better than 2port.

Simon

Last edited by Jolly Green Monster; 08 June 2005 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08 June 2005, 12:50 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

AKAIK the boost control kit uses a different map sensor to the AVCR, it's a denso one similar to that on the later cars.
Old 08 June 2005, 08:06 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Oh right, I stand corrected then

I thought it was the same as the AVCR one.
Old 08 June 2005, 08:36 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

AKAIK the boost control kit uses a different map sensor to the AVCR, it's a denso one similar to that on the later cars.
Does anyone know where I can get these MAP sensors that are compatible with the 93-96 PFC? I fitted a OE MY97 MAP sensor but the PFC reads it low - it thinks 1.4 bar is 0.95 bar, hence I'm using the Dawes

Thanks
Old 08 June 2005, 08:39 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

The boost kit is available from Japan, I could order you one, so could Paul or Andy I am sure.

Buy the boost kit, sell your 3port solenoid to help fund it.

Simon
Old 08 June 2005, 08:45 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

**** - I knew that answer, just wondered if you can get the MAP sensor on its own.

Otherwise I might as well spend the extra on an AVCR and get all the features
Old 08 June 2005, 08:46 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Yes indeed.

I am not aware of the map sensor being available on it's own.