my97 problem

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2005, 06:56 PM
delly
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my97 problem

hi guys im new so bare with me

Had my blue my97 turbo 2000 for about 6 weeks now its done 48k and its had the full wr pack treatment prodrive interia wheels ect ect

2 problems if you could help me please.

1. when i start the car up from cold it has a slight knock for 3 or 4 minutes when slightly reved sounds like ever a tappet or big end on its way out :/ after 4 minutes or when it starts warming up its perfect tho.....

2. this is my main consern. now sometimes mainly in second gear if i boot it. it just dussant pull like it duss most of the time and i have to lift off the power and plant it again and its fine pulls like a train again. also i have noticed this problem normaly happens if im trying to power out of a bend or corner any ideas lads ?

thanks in advance

ps im from hull and would love to know if there are any other guys up here for local meetings ect cheeers...
Old 05 June 2005, 07:05 PM
crazybri
Scooby Regular

the knocking from cold may b your oil, (check it) has it been a while since last serviced?

As for the accelerating i aint a clue!! some others on here may know.
Old 05 June 2005, 07:13 PM
delly
Scooby Newbie

was last serviced at 45k when it had a new cambelt ect

altho i did check the oil in the 1st week of owning the car at it wassant even on the dip stick.
funny thing was i only put about a pint back in and it was back to the full mark again 3k miles later and it hasant lost any oil since.

also its got a baily dump valve fitted i hate the bus like noise it makes and cant wait to remove it.do you think this might be the course of my power problem ?
Old 06 June 2005, 01:32 PM
mattjbvfr
Scooby Newbie

Sounds like piston slap - a search on here will turn up more info.

Matt
Old 06 June 2005, 03:41 PM
clavier
Scooby Regular

Default Knock

The knock is standard equipment for a 97 AIUI. Some engines were so bad they were replaced under warranty, some with just no. 3 piston. I bought my 97 from a main dealer in 2002 with a year's warranty - it had the piston slap, and the piston was replaced under the warranty. Seems to be down to the persuasiveness of the dealer when talking to Subaru...
Old 06 June 2005, 04:04 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

The second gear acceleration 'problem' actually sounds like a feature that I thought you only got on MY99-00 cars. I think it was done by Subaru for emissions tests, but you can drive around it. Try staying in a higher gear until just before you need 2nd gear acceleration.

Dave.
Old 06 June 2005, 04:17 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Probably not very clear in my post above.

With the MY99-00 cars there is a feature where when the car is held in 2nd gear it thinks it is being tested so reduces the boost and retards the timing.

Dipping the clutch or leaving it till the last moment before going into 2nd and accelerating gets around this.

Oh and yes, ditch the Bailey's dump valve. Try one of the Subaru Salvage companies for a standard one. I got mine for £30 from www.gradea-subaru.co.uk.

Dave
Old 06 June 2005, 05:48 PM
delly
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for your help lads

come to think of it piston slap rings a bell i think ur spot on there.
but as i said it dussant last long and its sweet.
so as long as it dussant get loads worse i can live with that.

and the boost problem is as you described to the letter so maybee its that to.

anyways im working in leeds at the moment so ive booked it into well lane for 9am tuesday morning for diagnostics hopefully all is well and i wont leave the place hundreds of quid out of pocket.

wish me luck and thanks for your time.....

cheers
Old 06 June 2005, 06:13 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveW
The second gear acceleration 'problem' actually sounds like a feature that I thought you only got on MY99-00 cars. I think it was done by Subaru for emissions tests, but you can drive around it. Try staying in a higher gear until just before you need 2nd gear acceleration.

Dave.
I have exactly the same experience and the car is my97 turbo. Thankfully no piston-slap, thought my98's were more prone.

Nick