Notices

Solid/Frozen Carbon Dioxide (Dry Ice). Cooling potential on TMIC?

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2005, 12:49 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Solid/Frozen Carbon Dioxide (Dry Ice). Cooling potential on TMIC?

Search facility is down at the moment so not sure to what extent this has been covered before (although I'm sure it has).

Trying to find the best solution for combating heatsoak, mainly on dragstrips where track marshalls can be fussy about the use of waterspray.

Problem with water/ice is that it can drip onto the track. From memory 'plumbers freeze spray' wasnt effective enough to cool a i/c.

Which leads me to Frozen/Solid Carbon Dioxide (aka dry ice). Its surface temp is -78.5deg C (or thereabouts) which sounds like alot of cooling potential.

I guess I'm missing something obvious here as to why people dont use it on tmics (that I know of)? Does it cool too much, causing components to become fragile?

I look forward to peoples views.

Bob
Old 02 June 2005, 02:06 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Its probably more down to handling the stuff. Why not fit fans to the bottom of your IC. Or look at Demon Tweeks as they do a CO2 kit for cooling your IC.
Old 02 June 2005, 02:14 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Handling shouldnt be a problem (wear gloves). Seems that the use of liquid co2 is more common?
Old 02 June 2005, 02:32 PM
Mk2_heaven
Scooby Regular

use a co2 fire extinusher and let it off through an old sock it cools and fills the sock with dry ice alternativly spray ic with extinguisher , would prove expensive tho
Old 02 June 2005, 02:53 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

I think Tech-art or Gemballa used dry ice on their Porsche Turbo monsters when they did high speed runs and circuits of the Nurburgring.

IMO dry ice and fans would be best.

J.
Old 02 June 2005, 03:15 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Probably obvious but if you are driving around with a box of dry ice in the car, please put the windows down or else as it melts and releases CO2 you are going to suffocate
Old 02 June 2005, 03:36 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Apprantley dry ice condenses metals.

Am interested to know what is best:

Frozen co2 v Liquid co2 v normal Ice

In terms of:

1. Cooling effect on the TMIC
2. Adverse effects
3. Practicality
Old 02 June 2005, 05:38 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Bob:
I did a thread on this topic about 2 years ago which got quite techie in places.
The CO2 approach is expensive to install and charge the bottle etc (adds weight too)
If you turn the TMIC into an iceburg you may well insulate the TMIC core from the cooling effect.
To cool the matrix/core you need to transfer heat and dissipate it away to allow the next 'wave' of cold medium to pass through the TMIC core.
This is why the fans appeal, air will flow well through the core matrix, dissipate and allow the flow of coler air to do its job.
Problem is the incomming air may not be too cold on a sunny day. So, add cold water atomised as best as you can into the fast airflow (the fan blades might help atomise the water) and you will rapidly chill that air being forced into the core by the fans.
I still prefer the idea of pushing the air through the matrix (fans on top) rather than sucking the wet air (fans below) myself, but most cooling set-ups are 'suck'.

This all asks the question why has nobody made a TMIC fan kit as a bolt-on with integrated water spray jets/bars?

Food for thought.

Graham.
Old 02 June 2005, 05:52 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Graham,

Thanks for the response. I do recall a similar thread quite a while back.

Could you elaborate as to why its not good to have a frozen i/c?

Air passes through the i/c and the colder the fins then the colder the air going into the TB?

Or am I missing something?

Water and ice seemed to work quite well but its a problem with the marshalls.

Bob

PS. Managed to muster a 1.70 60ft on the weekend and a 0.18 reaction time
Old 02 June 2005, 06:58 PM
PlaneSailing
Scooby Newbie

Thermodynamics isn't always as logical as it would appear. You are relying on a fluid giving up it's excess heat to an aluminium metalic matrix which then passes the heat energy away to the passing airflow. This process is actually more efficient when the temperature changes are fairly small. Therefore supercooling the fins will repel the fluid molecules and prevent them giving up their heat energy thus actually making the matrix inefficient and retaining heat in the charge flow.
Water spray on the other hand improves the removal of heat from the aluminium fins through evaporation which is more efficient than simple contact cooling and removes heat without supercooling the fins.
An additional way to improve the evaporation cooling effect is to add methanol to your water spray which evaporates more readily than water and again dissipates heat energy from the matrix more efficiently. Methanol is inflamable however so should not be used 'neat' and a 20%-30% solution by volume with water in a water spray system should enhance the cycle.
Old 02 June 2005, 10:17 PM
Scooby Regular

Smile

There you go.
Told you it gets a bit techie!
The thread went through the methanol bit and with the turbo soooo very close to the TMIC...maybe not too good!

This is why I arrived at high velocity fans (3 on the V8 TMIC maybe with atomised water into the fans and full freedom for the (warmed) water to drain/get blown through.
Hard bit will be to get a reasonable even cooling off the fans as you have 2 or 3 round fans over a rectangular matrix = hot corners and centre spots.
Also you need to cool the TMIC 'tanks' which are heavy and will hold a lot of heat.
for the pre start hill climb bit, I quench the warm TMIC with cold water/spong to drown the matrix and tanks as much as I can with the bonnet open, closing it all at the last moment when the spray takes over with ice cubes in the water bottle.
What a fuss..
At SSO Ireland ran his FMIC with CO2 and onto something under the bonnet by the fuel filter area, never saw his engine with the bonnet open.
Lots of hissing and stuff, but went really well.

Graham.

Last edited by 911; 02 June 2005 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03 June 2005, 01:28 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Does indeed get techie.

May well just have to re-locate the washer bottle away from under the bonnet and take lots of ice. Took 5 little bottles of frozen Evian last time and had to cut the bottles open and then cut the ice down until it went into the washer bottle. What a b@ll-ache.

Thanks for the response guys.

Bob
Old 03 June 2005, 01:33 PM
Sti_Lad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 911
Bob:
I did a thread on this topic about 2 years ago which got quite techie in places.
The CO2 approach is expensive to install and charge the bottle etc (adds weight too)
If you turn the TMIC into an iceburg you may well insulate the TMIC core from the cooling effect.
To cool the matrix/core you need to transfer heat and dissipate it away to allow the next 'wave' of cold medium to pass through the TMIC core.
This is why the fans appeal, air will flow well through the core matrix, dissipate and allow the flow of coler air to do its job.
Problem is the incomming air may not be too cold on a sunny day. So, add cold water atomised as best as you can into the fast airflow (the fan blades might help atomise the water) and you will rapidly chill that air being forced into the core by the fans.
I still prefer the idea of pushing the air through the matrix (fans on top) rather than sucking the wet air (fans below) myself, but most cooling set-ups are 'suck'.

This all asks the question why has nobody made a TMIC fan kit as a bolt-on with integrated water spray jets/bars?

Food for thought.

Graham.

On your atomised water theory, you can get these wonderful "fogger" devices in maplins very cheap... they used ultrasonics to atomise water and work pretty well... also just running one next to you you can feel the cooling effect it has.... only problems would be getting the atomised water to pass over the TMIC....
Old 03 June 2005, 01:35 PM
Scooby Regular

Could use the fans for that!
Graham
Old 03 June 2005, 01:55 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Mini project time Graham?
Old 03 June 2005, 04:38 PM
MurrayZA
Scooby Regular

Aquamist. Atomised water injected IN to the INTAKE MANIFOLD to cool the charge...

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/

Works extremely well here in South Africa with our 35+ degrees celsius temps and 93 max (Yek!) octane fuel.
Old 03 June 2005, 05:38 PM
Scooby Regular

Think so Bob.
There is a lull in the hill climb calander in july, so will try to get the bits together then.
I think you can get 2 x 7.5 or 2 x 8'' fans in there over a V8 TMIC.
Rest is easy, just got to find some weather proof fans.

Graham.
Old 07 June 2010, 10:39 AM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

interesting thread

bob: did anything come out of this? i dont think graham is on here anymore
Old 07 June 2010, 07:01 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Graham is busy with his Lola on 22B...

I'd say a solid co2 plus chargecooler as used at Bonneville is the best compromise, except for added weight.

What's NO2 cost nowadays, it's not just for the F&F movies....

dunx
Old 08 June 2010, 07:25 AM
typeRv4
Scooby Regular

http://www.are.com.au/Big%20HP/Dry%2...%20cooling.htm