Notices

My dials are not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2005, 11:35 PM
adeel.a
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My dials are not working properly

Since I asked my old garage to change the original dials for some Lockwood white dials, the speedo dial and temp gauge have never been normal.

When I am travelling 30MPH my dials reads 38MPH

When the temp is normal the dial reads 3/4 of the way up... and not in the middle...

I am still furious with my old garage and will never go back there again, however this problem will not go away... after almost a year I really need to get this fixed.

How can I solve this problem please.
Old 02 June 2005, 12:12 AM
chris666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by adeel.a
Since I asked my old garage to change the original dials for some Lockwood white dials, the speedo dial and temp gauge have never been normal.

When I am travelling 30MPH my dials reads 38MPH

When the temp is normal the dial reads 3/4 of the way up... and not in the middle...

I am still furious with my old garage and will never go back there again, however this problem will not go away... after almost a year I really need to get this fixed.

How can I solve this problem please.
i did the same thing ! the rev counter was still counting down a while after the engine was turned off & the fuel gauge never read full
i got some s/h clocks from the scrap yard and fitted them
wont be pratting around with the lockwood faces again
Old 02 June 2005, 11:57 AM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

To be fair to the garage, that really is a tricky mod to perform. I had to ditch my old rev counter as I had similar symptoms to the guy above. Never had and problems with the fuel/temp gauges though. My speedo works fine when cold, but if the sun comes out and heats the interior up, the needle sticks/jump unless you tap the dash LOL!

It's definitely a 2 man job - you need someone with some tiny long nose pliers to hold the spindle when the needle is removed/replace - this protects the mechanism. Not sure why mine sticks when warm, thought about spraying some electrical cleaner in there but have lived with it for a couple of years now. WILL NEVER be fitting lockwood white dials again!
Old 02 June 2005, 06:24 PM
Rokay
Scooby Regular

wont be pratting around with the lockwood faces again
lol at you lot. Done this mod myself and to be fair it ain't for the faint hearted.

Right mate your speedo needle needs to be moved back a tad. With the clockset sitting in the living room and a pot of coffee by your side you can begin.

Gain access to the dials by removing the purspex frt cover. Gently lift the needle the other side of the stop. Gently pull the needle anti clockwise and then let it go so it springs back on its own and finds it natural resting point. Do this several times and make a small mark with a pencil. Take two tee spoons and use them as a lever gently see sawing the needle off its drive. Once off, the needle will then have to be moved back beyond the pencil mark in your case because theres an error in the reading. You'll have to guess and play with this and fire the gauge up until it reads correctly.

What i have described with the needle springing back to a stop, marking with a pencil removing needle and replacing black dial for whites. Replacing needle so it lines up with pencil mark is based on a clock set that reads ok in the first place. As i said you'll just have to have a play till the needle reads right.

Your temp gauge needle would not have been removed for the Lockwood mod. Fuel and temp needles can not be removed without damage. Original black faces are cut away with a knife and replacement white faces slotted into place. Held in postion by two very sml grub screws. Chances are either the white dial hasn't be positioned correctly. imo unlikely. Or you may have a problem with your thermostate. Just a coincidence perhaps.

Lockwood white dial mod should come with health warnings. lol.

Last edited by Rokay; 02 June 2005 at 06:31 PM.